09 cold start issues

I need some help !:

Brand new RM 450 09 with 15 hours now

Oil changed every 5 hrs, clean filter each ride, valves in spec

Recently the bike started to develop some cold engine starting issues

After 5-6 attempts, it finally fires up.. to stall few seconds after

does that 2 or 3 times and then it's on.

When the engine is warm, it's a 1-3 kicks deal so nothing to complain here

Tried w/wo choke, doesn't make any difference

if the choke is on, when she's finally firing up, it takes several seconds for the engine to get to the higher idling speed

Engine running perfectly fine after that, no bog, no stalling, smooth as butter

I put a brand new plug (OEM, $$$) yesterday and same story this morning

First Yellow bike after many KTM, I hope I didn't get a lemon.🙂

Edited by mxstate

Im new to the Rmz also. Just got one 35 hours on it. Oem spark plug is cheap, 7.35, But with the starting do you have the Idle set high enough. Mine had the same problem until I set the idle. Well if its a lemon you have the right color,lol. I am selling my KTM now for the Yellow monster.

lol I would not complain about 5-6 kicks,

If Im feeling lazy it'll take me 7-8 kicks....

If I actually kick the s.o.b I'll get it in 3-4 kicks

They're dirtbikes.......... everything doesn't exactly go "smooth" with them.

5-6 kicks sounds perfectly fine.

edit: missed the part about it dying after the first 2-3 starts lol

still I wouldn't get concerned about it. Maybe you put in too much air filter oil ? theres a lot of variables, as long as the sucker rips I consider myself myserlf: )

I agree it's not always smooth with dirt bikes but I never had this problems with my 250 SXF.

I have seen others RMZ and they usually start fine when cold

what really bothers me is that it stalls a couple of times then runs

i've been thinking about too much oil on the filter but I usually squeeze it pretty good and never experienced any dripping into the air boot (and it's pretty hot in my garage at this time of the year !)

Still don't think that a FI bike should do that

still looking for an answer..

Thanks all for your replies

It looks like it is sucking all the power generated out of the capacitator and then doesn't have enough anymore.

Why don't you hook on the EFI-light and see what code it throws? See your shop manual for the part number. I paid about $40 for it.

• 2 weeks later...

Mine is cold I have to kick it about 5-6 times to get it to fire up (charged) and even then it may quit. Another good kick and it is going.

The dying part I would agree your loosing charge. You need to test it to see what code it post.

Make sure your idle is set correct as that has some effect, at least on mine it does.

I have an 08 with the 09 engine and it does the exact same thing. When cold it will start up idle for a second or 2 and then die. Usually does this 1-3 times before it starts up completely. I tried the idle adjuster and it made no difference other than when I set it higher it seemed to run hotter. So I keep it 10 clicks clockwise from fully turned to the left. It runs like a champ and when warm it always starts up first kick. Think this is normal asmy buddies did the exact same thing.

I heard Suzuki has advised us to upgrade our CDI's from XP to Vista as XP is known to have these boot up problems:banana:

😏🤣😏🤣:cheers:

Exactly what I was thinking!

When I used to open a carb, clean it, adjust the float and be on the track minutes after, I need now:

12v battery

Laptop (good luck with that at a track, I can see my Macbook in the middle of dust/mud/sweat (Oh, it won't happen , mapping software is Windows only)

Cables/spare connectors

Make sure I got the V5.21 beta 1 version of the software

PH D in EFI management

Pfff... and it's called progress? I must really be getting too old school...

I am still looking for an RM, just to be ready the day of the virus I just downloaded has my bike giving me the blue "smoke screen of death"

We are sorry for the inconvenience, please select :

-Send a report/don't send a report

-Go get a 2 strokes

yeah but if you know what your doing its better............i was at yosh and he diagnosed and remapped my rmz before you would have even got the carb off the bike.........it was efficient and accurate.....

That's my point: if you know what you are doing !

I don't when it's about EFI and I don't have anybody local to work with me on that.

So I'm a little hesitant to send my ECU, get it back and may be still with the same issue

A serious company should (will) work with you to rework but all the back and forth shipping can quickly get really $$$ (went through that with suspension a long time ago, learned my lesson and now dealing with local guy who is as good as the big name I used first)

I still think that things are getting a little bit out of control (and shame on me for contributing to the plague)

I never experienced any real show stopper carburation issues (3 thumpers) but at least I could (did it for some friends) do some minor work.

Now it's like my car: buy it, change your oil and hope nothing breaks

when it goes wrong or "not as expected" : trip to the dealership, $80 minimum to connect the computer and "we will see from there"

Yeah I know, I'm getting old....😏

😏🤣😏🤣:cheers:

I need now:

12v battery

Believe it or not. I have a small battery attached to the bike permanently, even while i ride (I ride enduro with the RMZ).

The system loads the 12V battery.

The '2" dying syndrom' has gone away. I do a cold start in 6 kicks now, where only two are firm.

If I don't connect it I am back in the same situation as you guys.

I have an 08 with the 09 engine and it does the exact same thing. When cold it will start up idle for a second or 2 and then die. Usually does this 1-3 times before it starts up completely. I tried the idle adjuster and it made no difference other than when I set it higher it seemed to run hotter. So I keep it 10 clicks clockwise from fully turned to the left. It runs like a champ and when warm it always starts up first kick. Think this is normal asmy buddies did the exact same thing.

Exactly what mine does too sometimes. I find it depends on how long the bike sits. The longer it does hard to start, if it is the next day it seems to go in 3 kicks and normaly will stay running or just one more kick and good to go. Must hold a charge or a little bit of one... I have no issues kicking it a few times if it runs perfect everything time I ride, which it does.

the fuel pump needs voltage to to pressurizee the system.so ti takes you kicking the bike to charge the capacitor and operate the pump.

if the fuel pressure has beld off and capacitor isnt charged its gonna take some kicks to start themthats just how it is.

they will start easier for sure with a battery becuase the fuel is running off the battery till the bike runs.