Fork seal change - How to hold the damper rod ??

Hey all

I prepping my mates DRZ400S for our trip through Africa. Both his fork seals need changing.

Now, when I do seals in my workshop, I undo the damper rod bolts with an Airgun on my compressor.

He has no workshop, no shed, no tools , NO NOTHING !! I cant use my airgun there.

Any ideas how to hold the damper to stop it spinning so I can remove the lower bolts ???

I don't fancy buying the holding tool nor do I have the time to make one.....

Regards, Ted

The damper rod screws into the fork cap. I think you are asking about the cartridge body. 2 ways to hold it and you already know both. Use an air or electric impact gun with some spring tension on the cartridge. Or buy/make the Suzuki tool that holds the cartridge from turning.

08-0223.jpg

NOTE: This is a Motion Pro combo tool... the handle is in the wrong end for use ona Showa fork used on the DRZ. The T bar handle would go in the other end.

If using an impact gun, you dont need this,,, if your not you do.

Buy or build one.

I pressume the 27mm hex end of this is also hollow ??

To fit over the rod as eddie says !

Edited by tedmagnum

The tool is used to hold the cartridge, which has an hex recess.

Your question is a bit confusing. Your friend and you might want find someone else to be setting his bike up for a trip across Africa. Thats not a flame intended, just an observation..

It's one thing to guess your way though working on your own bike, but on someone else's for a trip where a breakdown means more then just pushing it to the parking lot , loading and going home..???? To each his own,, Good of you to offer to help 🙂

:banana: At the very least do a long shake down run... make sure your work is up to the task.🤣

.... The tool has an external hex built onto it, which fits into the internal recessed hex in the fork cartridge.

The tool is used to hold the cartridge, which has an hex recess.

Your question is a bit confusing. Your friend and you might want find someone else to be setting his bike up for a trip across Africa. Thats not a flame intended, just an observation..

It's one thing to guess your way though working on your own bike, but on someone else's for a trip where a breakdown means more then just pushing it to the parking lot , loading and going home..???? To each his own,, Good of you to offer to help 🙂

:banana: At the very least do a long shake down run... make sure your work is up to the task.🤣

.... The tool has an external hex built onto it, which fits into the internal recessed hex in the fork cartridge.

Mate, I know exactly what the tool does and how it works... I'm a qualified technician. The bike is 250 miles away and I cant drag my workshop down there on the back of my bike.

I've stripped and rebuild more forks than I can remember. I just don't have that specific tool in my own toolbox as I usually a rattle gun when I cant use the compression of the spring or the holding tools I already have.

I'm asking what the dimensions are so I can make one to the correct size, or source one elsewhere.. I'm not asking how to do the job !!

I don't want to ride 5 hours to work on a bike with NO workshop or power just to find out the dimensions are wrong. Im sure you can understand.

Thanks for your concern.... I'm sure you're just trying to help !

🤣

broncos concerns are 100% valid considering the questions you are asking.

LOL... Because I asked what the dimensions of a rod holding tool are ?? Because I want to make one without seeing the fork. I'm not spending £40 for a tool that I will never use again.

I was hoping someone might know a trick I didnt for holding the rod when there is no workshop and very limited tools to use.

I can understand that it's second nature to someone who specialized in Suzuki, DRZ or Enduros, but I don't !! I can't know the size and design of every fork on the market...

Nevermind ! Thanks anyway. No offence intended or taken !

The damper cartridge has an internal hex so the tool is an external hex. The tool I made uses a piece of 1" OD steel tubing, .060" wall, 14" long. It has a 5/16" cross hole on one end for a "tommy" bar. It has a nut welded to the other end. The nut measures 26.4mm so it is probably a 27mm hex or maybe 1 1/16". The ID of the nut is bored out to .712". I don't know how critical that is. The damper rod is 12mm I think, maybe 14mm. I don't remember for sure. I probably just bored the nut to look finished.

• Like 1

The damper cartridge has an internal hex so the tool is an external hex. The tool I made uses a piece of 1" OD steel tubing, .060" wall, 14" long. It has a 5/16" cross hole on one end for a "tommy" bar. It has a nut welded to the other end. The nut measures 26.4mm so it is probably a 27mm hex or maybe 1 1/16". The ID of the nut is bored out to .712". I don't know how critical that is. The damper rod is 12mm I think, maybe 14mm. I don't remember for sure. I probably just bored the nut to look finished.

Thank you !! Just what I needed to know ! 🙂

Happy to see you got the info you needed.

Are you planning on checking / replacing the bushings?

Do you have a seal driver?

What oil wt are you useing?

What level will you set it to?

I'm sure you thought through all that.... If not, may want to before headed to your buddys.

Seal driver ?? I think attacking Polar mammals is cruel..

Oil ?? Probably Olive oil, it smells better.

Level ?? Couple of drops should do..

🙂

In all seriousness, I think we've got of on the wrong foot here. I appreciate all input but I'm sure I will be ok. The Isle of Mann TT bikes I've worked on didnt fall apart and the bikes I prep/repair for Round the world overland travel are still going strong.

The internet is a bit of twat really isn't it. It's easy to misunderstand what people are saying. Easy to take offence where none is intended.

Me and this guy both have DRZ's and we are travelling accross Europe and Africa. He doesn't have the cash to visit a workshop down there to do all the prep work so I offered to do it for him if he paid my fuel.. Trust me, i'd rather be working on my own bikes at home in a nice fully tooled workshop.

Now, Im giving up a long weekend and driving a long way on a bike. I can only bring so much.. If we can't do the job, its not my problem... I've told him that he needs to come to my workshop but he can't carry the parts he needs working on (Wheels, forks, steerer etc... Converting from an SM)

As for your questions before. yeah, i have a 49mm split seal driver and i'll be putting in about 710mm of 5wt oil to make 129mm without the spring.

Sorry again if I've come accross as a douche.

Ted