One of those days today!

Basically got my A** handed to me today. I thought I was a decent rider, but got very humbled. Went on a difficult singletrack ride in the San Juans of Colorado, Priest Gulch to Calico loop, out and back towards Johnny Bull basin. it's an area south of Rico for reference for those that know the area. Anyway, out too late the night before, which didn't help. Radiator was already boiling about 25 mins into the trip. It is that kind of trail! I had already smacked my right ankle on a rock. there was another low rock on the right, but i compensated a bit much to the left and hit the left barkbuster on a horizontal downed log that had been cut for access. That sent me flying down the hill to the right, about 10feet on a 45 degree slope. That pile of fallen trees were kind enough to stop my momentum. As i dumped the bike to the left, my left leg got caught, but my body's momentum was still going forward. a vertical tree in the pile kept me from really hyperextending my knee, which is what was going through my head as this happened in slow motion. It took awhile to get untangled and I sat for a bit. Then out of stupid determination i fought hard to get that bike free and unstuck. Lots of time and energy spent, with only minor results. I was in the back, so no one saw it, the rest of the group did wait patiently and eventually sent someone to check/help. Since it is ST, i understand not going right away to avoid head ons. Anyway, i blew most of my energy fighting that bike solo, which was stupid given that this was just the start of VERY physical ride. i was basically shot after that. I don't know how many times i went down today, but it was an awful lot! i was very glad to have a patient group, helpful, never pressured to ride past my ability, no attitude, basically the best you could have for these situations. By the time we were above treeline, the sidehill track was so narrow that at times it seemed no wider than my rear tire, so it was heads up riding for sure. I was so beat i couldn't stay standing for long, wobbled too much, so just sat and slowed down. Left knee was progressively getting worse and started cramping, so finally i met the group at a nice big open area, and knowing that they were heading out a bit farther and coming back the same way, i opted for a break to try to salvage myself. i think i just laid there and cooled down, felt various parts of my body firing/twitching and listened to Zac Brown and took a little nap. That was the smartest thing i did all day. Rested, watered up, and half hour later we were heading back to finish the loop. I learned several things, like i need to be geared lower when doing any ride with this group because they are basically billygoats. 13-50 vs the 14-50 i had on. Even high up in the mtns, bikes will run hot if hammered hard and cooling fans and high pressure radiator caps will be added very soon. Carry more water! i blew through mine quicker than i thought, but once again, helpful group shared!

The main thing i learned when riding with a group and you get your bike way stuck, don't be pig headed stubborn and blow all your energy. Be patient and wait for others to realize you are gone, and accept the help. That would have prevented them for waiting so much later for my tired, ass kicked self. With all that being said, it was an amazingly brutal and awesome day! I learned from it a lot, and although i can't twist my knee currently or lift my arms, i had a blast and was very thankful for such a good group.🙂

So anyone else have a big, hard day lately?

Been there done that. My XR400 is a joy to ride 99% of the time but sometimes when I get in the tight, steep , technical stuff it can be a biatch! Most of the times when I drop it is on a steep hill and takes a tremendous amount of energy to pick it up. The bike will also start easily 99% of the time except after it is dropped. These are the times I wish I had the magic button. If I drop it on a hill now I have just started turning around and bump starting it. After going through all of this ussually in extreme heat, I am no good for the rest of the ride. I consider myself a pretty good rider but sometimes get in over my head. I also have to realize that at almost 50 I cant do what I could when I was 16. I just try my best to stay out of those situations. Guy

Yup, been there, done that too. Second or third time of picking the bike up in 15 minutes, even a 2 stroke starts getting heavy and hard to start.:banana:

Worst part for me is, not all the guys who can beat up on me are younger than me. I'm 52 and started riding dirt about 5 years ago, one of the guys I ride with is 54.. "I started racin' back in 86", you get the idea. Another buddy is just a few years younger than me, but a waaay better rider, it can be difficult.

It's always a good time, but my truck is a standard, and doesn't have power steering, sometimes this can be a problem on the drive home.🙂