Gotta strip engine down for gearbox rebuild

Should i take the engine out in one piece or just pull the top end while in the bike, then just unbolt the bottom end?

Reason i ask is that i've just done a search & it seems like a PITA to remove & replace the engine in one piece, i have to remove the top end anyway even if i take it out in 1 piece so wonder if theres any point taking it out like that.

Its an 07.

Cool , sounds like thats what i should do. You have gearbox trouble as well? was it 5th gear jumping out?

'09 450r, 80hrs per the meter.

False neutrals everywhere, jumping out of 3rd and 4th, will not shift into 5th at all. My shop manual should be here tomorrow, then I'm splitting the cases. I'm curious to see what I find. When I drained the trans oil it was "shimmery" with flakes of metal.

'09 450r, 80hrs per the meter.

False neutrals everywhere, jumping out of 3rd and 4th, will not shift into 5th at all. My shop manual should be here tomorrow, then I'm splitting the cases. I'm curious to see what I find. When I drained the trans oil it was "shimmery" with flakes of metal.

Let us know what you find in there, would be interested to know.

I'm thinking of letting mine go for a bit longer cos i don't use 5th very often anyway & i don't really want to pull it apart now.