Sign in to follow this  

Carb float level

Hi guys,

Is there a sure fire way of setting the float level? I,ve noticed fuel coming out of the over flow hose when the tap is left on.

As a quick fix I connected the fuel hose to it with out the bowl on and set it so the fuel stopped flowing when the moulding line in the float was parallel with the surface the bowl mates with.

Its stopped the over flow problem but the fuel level maybe to low now?

Any ideas?

yes, removing the carb and measuring it. your way sounds like it should be pretty close.

Yeah the only way to be sure is to check the float height in your manual, pulling the carb and setting it. If it is set properly and still leaking you can play with it a little. But usually this means the float valve is going bad if you are way higher than the standard setting.

Hi, Sean do you know what the measurement is?(mines a 99 like one of yours) I know its taken from where the bowl seats to the carb body, to the bottom of the float when the tang is just touching the valve. Its 16mm on the earlier kdx's.

Paul

Hi, Sean do you know what the measurement is?(mines a 99 like one of yours) I know its taken from where the bowl seats to the carb body, to the bottom of the float when the tang is just touching the valve. Its 16mm on the earlier kdx's.

Paul

16mm for all 220's and for all 95+ 200's. remember to make sure the spring loaded pin in the needle doesnt get depressed when you take your measurement

hi guys, do any of you know the float level for a kx 125 2003?

my bike didnt have a manual when i bought it so im having to search the web, but no luck!

If one of you guys could find it out for me that would be very juch appreciated!

mike.

Hi, well maybe I'm not doing it right but setting the tang so it just touches when the top of the float is 16mm from the bowl mating surface, pretty much puts the float as high as it can go and wont shut the gas off.

Can anyone give me some info on exactly where the measurement should be taken?

Paul

Ok I think the major problem with that measurement not working was down to some other muppets efforts b4.

Ive had a general straighten out of the float mount and its much closer to the 16mm while still shuting off the gas. I can get it to work manually with out the bowl on, and its fine when I first fill the carb but after running it goes back to leaking.

There is a very faint wear groove in the valve, can any groove or mark stop it sealing up? A new oem one is $60 ( I aint paying $60 for something that small:foul:) is after market the go for these or a bad idea?

Paul

Ok I think the major problem with that measurement not working was down to some other muppets efforts b4.

Ive had a general straighten out of the float mount and its much closer to the 16mm while still shuting off the gas. I can get it to work manually with out the bowl on, and its fine when I first fill the carb but after running it goes back to leaking.

There is a very faint wear groove in the valve, can any groove or mark stop it sealing up? A new oem one is $60 ( I aint paying $60 for something that small:foul:) is after market the go for these or a bad idea?

Paul

yes it can, the needle really needs to be in good shape or jetting can be a nightmare, but if its not leaking then it should be fine. there has to be a cheaper alternative, let me know when you find it:thumbsup:

Paul

Bikebandit shows the float valve for $32.50. Ron Ayers has been cheaper lately, but I didn't check there.

EDIT" Ooops just realized you are in NZ, probably not cost effective to buy here after shipping.

You can also do the "clear tube test". I just did this on my 900 with 4 carbs. I set the carb assembly level in a vise and used a cone shaped cap from a quart of gear oil as a funnel to the fuel line. There's a small drain on the bowls of my carbs where I used a part from a Paper Mate pen and threaded it into the bowl then installed a clear hose to the pen piece.

clear_tube_combo.jpg

Thanks Jeekinz, but with out the drain screw doing that will be a little hard. I had a look at your resto Z1 thread its looking real good, if you were a little closer id offer to paint the tank for you. My last road bike ws a A4 GPZ900, man I loved that bike.

Kawasaki made some magic bikes in the 70s and 80s!

Paul

Thanks.

What bike do you have? Is there a large drain on the bottom, I forget like 14 or 17mm?

If you found (or had) a spare one of those you could tap in a small hose fitting.

Kawi has a special tool under their catalog that fits in the drain hole so its perfectly accurate...

Thanks.

What bike do you have? Is there a large drain on the bottom, I forget like 14 or 17mm?

If you found (or had) a spare one of those you could tap in a small hose fitting.

Its a 99 kdx 200, no I dont have one spare but making one was exactly the idea I had today. I have to go to the bike shop tomorrow to sort the float valve so ill look into the proper tool, if its ott on the pricing ill go see a wrecker and see if I can go that way.

Paul

Following extract from '06 KDX Online manual

When checking the float height turn the carburetor sideways with the float hanging from the pivot pin. Angle the carburetor back about 25° so the float is resting on the fuel valve but not compressing the spring inside of it. Measure the distance between the float bowl gasket surface and the highest part of the float with a set of vernier calipers or float height gauge.

To make an adjustment you will need to bend the float tab and re-measure the height until it's within specification.

(Specification for float height is 14 to 18 mm)

I had a similar prob setting up the float height on my KDX. Turned out that the overflow tube in the bowl was set/bent to low. A simple tweak, problem solved

I had to pay near on $80 for my boys KX65 float valve - we're getting ripped here in NZ!..

yes it can, the needle really needs to be in good shape or jetting can be a nightmare, but if its not leaking then it should be fine. there has to be a cheaper alternative, let me know when you find it:thumbsup:

Got a after market valve on order $20:banana:

mfordy- thats how I tried to set it but no good, hoping its the valve. Where in Nz are you dude?

hi guys, do any of you know the float level for a kx 125 2003?

my bike didnt have a manual when i bought it so im having to search the web, but no luck!

If one of you guys could find it out for me that would be very juch appreciated!

mike.

same situation as mike with the 03 125 anyone on here know the measurement?

9.5mm +/- 1mm, that's straight out of the manual