Need help jetting my L

Alright so i got an 08 650L brand new from the dealer about 600 miles ago. They de smogged it for me with an ims kit, put on a fmf power bomb header with a pro circuit t4 muffler, installed uni air filter and de snorkled it. They also put in a jet kit, not sure wich one but it runs terrible. Pops and stutters at a crack of the throttle, breaks up at higher rpm, and alot of back firing on decel. Pulled plug yesterday after a long ride and it is pretty well right. Looking at remains of kit there is a 160 main left in the box for the kit, one labled m152, and the stock spring and needle are in the kit. Not sure what kit this is as has instructions for a moose racing stage 1 jet kit and a dyno jet trouble shooting guide. I have never had luck with carburetors or i would tear in and check out what they have in their. Any one able to offer any advice on my first time carb job on my new bike or what i should have set up in my carb for them mods?

Alright so i got an 08 650L brand new from the dealer about 600 miles ago. They de smogged it for me with an ims kit, put on a fmf power bomb header with a pro circuit t4 muffler, installed uni air filter and de snorkled it. They also put in a jet kit, not sure wich one but it runs terrible. Pops and stutters at a crack of the throttle, breaks up at higher rpm, and alot of back firing on decel. Pulled plug yesterday after a long ride and it is pretty well right. Looking at remains of kit there is a 160 main left in the box for the kit, one labled m152, and the stock spring and needle are in the kit. Not sure what kit this is as has instructions for a moose racing stage 1 jet kit and a dyno jet trouble shooting guide. I have never had luck with carburetors or i would tear in and check out what they have in their. Any one able to offer any advice on my first time carb job on my new bike or what i should have set up in my carb for them mods?

Here we go again............:banana::banghead:?

They should make a sticky on this at the top of the page..............

These aftermarket jet kits are nothing but trouble........and the main reason is the cheap buggers won`t include a larger pilot jet....

Sorry man..just getting tired of these so called "jet kits" that don`t include the freekin jets..?:lol:?

These kits are all made by Dynojet IMHO and all do not include a larger pilot jet.......why............who knows,but you won`t get rid of the decel popping without it..

You need to start with a 55 pilot jet............get a keihin jet....this will affect the throttle from closed to 1/2 throttle the most...and will get rid of the decel popping........or most of it....

But your MAIN problem is you need a larger pilot jet.........stock is 50 or 52 ,,you need to start with a 55..........you might need larger.So if you are ordering the jets get a 55,58 and maybe a 60 pilot..?

Brian

Finally worked up the confidence to rip it apart as obviously cant trust the dealer to do quality work in this area. Yup, they got a 165 main and a 50 pilot. From the sounds of it a 165 main should be alright is this correct? Which size pilot should i try with the mods listed about and about 90% of gas stations around here are on 10% ethanol. 58 or 60 sounds like general pickings from doing a search. Which one would you guys try first?

Finally worked up the confidence to rip it apart as obviously cant trust the dealer to do quality work in this area. Yup, they got a 165 main and a 50 pilot. From the sounds of it a 165 main should be alright is this correct? Which size pilot should i try with the mods listed about and about 90% of gas stations around here are on 10% ethanol. 58 or 60 sounds like general pickings from doing a search. Which one would you guys try first?

The 165 is a Dynojet165........the Dj165 equals roughly a Keihin 160........so yeah that should be decent.......if it`s rich stuff the DJ160 in it,it roughly equates to a Keihin 158.....

The 152 was the OE mainjet they took out...i`d put in the 58 pilot.......but having the others handy as they are cheap is nice to have....i`m running a 55...

As for the dealer......they just did what the kit recommends.......to cover their kat.gif

If they didn`t do what the kit recommended then you could say they did a poor jobmwink.gif

OH YEAH.......set the fuel screw to 2 1/4 turns to 2 1/2 turns out from light seated....did they grind the tab off the fuel screw........i`m wondering if they adjusted that at all....

You could adjust this while you wait on jets if you like...might make enough diff to help you out:thumbsup:

B

I really didn't ask them to use a kit though, thats the deal. I asked them if they could jet it according to the rest of the goodies we threw on it. Looks like im off to pick up some pilot jets tomorrow then get her back together and see how it is then.

I really didn't ask them to use a kit though, thats the deal. I asked them if they could jet it according to the rest of the goodies we threw on it. Looks like im off to pick up some pilot jets tomorrow then get her back together and see how it is then.

re-read my post..i added to it while you were typing:lol:

Did they set the fuel screw is the part i added..?

B

Tab was still on it. It was roughly 2-1/2 turns out as of right now, Should i grind the tab off or as long as i make sure it is set back to 2-1/4 to 2-1/2 before putting the bowl back on will it be fine? I did try turning it to help it run better but with the tab there i could not seem to get it to run any better, if i turned it in as far as i could before the tab hitting it would not run at all, turned it the other way, no noticeable difference.

Tab was still on it. It was roughly 2-1/2 turns out as of right now, Should i grind the tab off or as long as i make sure it is set back to 2-1/4 to 2-1/2 before putting the bowl back on will it be fine? I did try turning it to help it run better but with the tab there i could not seem to get it to run any better, if i turned it in as far as i could before the tab hitting it would not run at all, turned it the other way, no noticeable difference.

It's a little work, but Dave's mods are the big favorite around here. Pilot, main, and that all-important little washer on the needle.

http://www.4strokes.com/tech/honda/xr650lcarbmods/

The Dynojet kits SUCK. Mine was doing the dame thing. I bet you have an aftermarket needle with a clip, right? Ditch that, and use the stock needle shimmed with a #2 washer like Dave's Mods calls for. Get rid of the Dynojet jets and use genuine Keihin main and pilot. 55/158 is the appropriate place to start. Lastly, kick the dealer in the teeth. ?

leave the tab on the screw, file the tab on the bowl that keeps the screw from turning.

Dave

leave the tab on the screw, file the tab on the bowl that keeps the screw from turning.

Dave

DITTO!!!!! That way you have an easy way to manipulate the screw as well as an easier reference when you're setting it.

I took a dremel to my float bowl tab, instead of my fuel screw, of course be sure to spray the crap out of the bowl with some carb cleaner brefore reinstalling it. You would hate to get a flek of that into your jet or worse into the cylinder.

The dealer hosed you on the "power bomb" too. Those don't really do much unless you've gone with a bigger piston, cam, etc. I found a FMF Q4 gave me a little more punch mid and up without anything other than 55/160 jets. I had performed the Dave's mods, but that was it.

I didn't grind or file anything off of the screw or the float bowl.

Simply apply a little heat to the tab on the screw (say with a bic lighter) and remove the entire cap/tab (it's just glued on there). This will reveal the normal standard head on the screw. Then get yourself the cheapest air/fuel scew adjustment tool you can find. I think I got mine from MotionPro for about 20 bucks.

IMHO, however, all the jetting and tuning in the world doesn't make-up for the real problem...the stock carb is junk. Maybe its just the one that I got, but I can't get rid of mid-air stumbling. Any time I get even moderate air over terrain the motor craps for a second or two. A Honda mechanic (whom I trust) just told me, "most people don't jump these bikes." ?

I didn't grind or file anything off of the screw or the float bowl.

Simply apply a little heat to the tab on the screw (say with a bic lighter) and remove the entire cap/tab (it's just glued on there). This will reveal the normal standard head on the screw. Then get yourself the cheapest air/fuel scew adjustment tool you can find. I think I got mine from MotionPro for about 20 bucks.

IMHO, however, all the jetting and tuning in the world doesn't make-up for the real problem...the stock carb is junk. Maybe its just the one that I got, but I can't get rid of mid-air stumbling. Any time I get even moderate air over terrain the motor craps for a second or two. A Honda mechanic (whom I trust) just told me, "most people don't jump these bikes." ?

I never have a stumble related to terrain or from going airborne, did someone remove your slosh baffle?

Dave

I keep hearing displeasure about the DJ adjustable needle. What is the problem with it? Is the taper a lot different or something?

I had the DJ kit........i had no probs with it,worked fine.........but most people do not know that the pilot jet really has to be changed...Dynojet tells you it`s not necessary:lol:

But cleanliness is next to godliness here........you must be really carefull with any carb against dirt getting in........most troubles seem to start right after puttimng in the kit and not being clean enough...

I think the adjustable needle is a good idea,,,,,,,,but Dave Mods is just better because most people that are new to bikes find jetting hard,Dave`s mods is easier...and works.....

But the aftermarket could solve a ton of complaints just by including a pilot jet a size or 2 larger..

B

So going to try the 58 today, the one the dealer gave me is a bit taller than the 50, is this right or did they hook me up with the wrong one?

Screw it in,,if it sticks out more than the original then i believe you have to trim the slosh(SP?) baffle....

Where is Dave when we need him:thumbsup:?

XR650L_DAVE to courtesy phone please:lol::banana:

Brian

Screw it in,,if it sticks out more than the original then i believe you have to trim the slosh(SP?) baffle....

Where is Dave when we need him:thumbsup:?

XR650L_DAVE to courtesy phone please:lol::banana:

Brian

Yeah, you mights hafta be trimming the slosh baffle if they gives you the long one- cut it back or trim it thinner where it goes over the slow jet well.

Dave