SL350 Parts?

Hey all...I'm knocking around the idea of restoring a early 70's SL350. How abundant are the parts for these bikes? Does anyone know?

I remember my dad had one as a when I was kid at around 5 years old....he used to beat my 🙂 when he found me playing on it in the garage....I couldn't stay off of it, but the pain was worth it I guess because I kept doing it. :banana:

I think he would get a kick out of riding one again as he is in his mid 60's now....

This is a subject I know just a little about. I bought a 71 SL350 brand new and rode it 30,000 miles before trading it for another one with only 1,000 miles. Rode the second one to 6,000 miles and then just parked it in a corner of the shop and forgot about it.

I decided to fix it up and sell it on eBay a few years back. I found that the hardest to find parts were the mufflers and original seat. You can buy covers and foam, which is what I ended up doing. Mufflers are hard to find since they all rusted out years ago. Luckily I didn't need any but the ones I saw on eBay were very expensive.

I finally got it all restored and even found an original owners manual for it. Someone has even reproduced the tool cover and sidecover stickers. What a trip down memory lane it was to ride it again.

My advise is that if you have your heart set on an old SL, find the most complete one you can. Parts are out there but not cheap.

Mufflers are hard to find since they all rusted out years ago. Luckily I didn't need any but the ones I saw on eBay were very expensive.

Thanks!

Seems you're right about those mufflers...After posting this I did some more research and I ran across this site. http://www.marblesmotors.com/partsforsalesl350.htm This guy does some amazing work!!!. He notates they no longer reproduce the mufflers...

I am in the process of a frame up rstoration and yes everything is hard ot find and or expensive, especially the pipes. Randy Marble did the paint for it and it is awesome! B&J racing is doing my head and boring the jugs - buchanan spoke and wheel did new wheels laced to the OEM hubs and polished them, awaiting a set of fork seals rights now and then I can mount the forks and install the wheels and at least get it on it's feet. Frame was bead blasted and powdercoated metallic silver. In the engine room I have the cases split for a new cam chain and inspection of it's inners.

It was a complete bike when I bought it for 300.00 I now have easily 2,500 in it. But she is gonna be a looker! and I think I could probably double my money if I sold it.

I am in the process of a frame up rstoration and yes everything is hard ot find and or expensive, especially the pipes. Randy Marble did the paint for it and it is awesome! B&J racing is doing my head and boring the jugs - buchanan spoke and wheel did new wheels laced to the OEM hubs and polished them, awaiting a set of fork seals rights now and then I can mount the forks and install the wheels and at least get it on it's feet. Frame was bead blasted and powdercoated metallic silver. In the engine room I have the cases split for a new cam chain and inspection of it's inners.

It was a complete bike when I bought it for 300.00 I now have easily 2,500 in it. But she is gonna be a looker! and I think I could probably double my money if I sold it.

I'd love to see it! You should post some photos! Sounds nice...

I don't know what it is....but I'm really starting to dig the vintage bikes...I might have to go with my "Plan-B"....resto a CT70 or RD350...might be cheaper

Edited by 450xDaD

I'd love to see it! You should post some photos! Sounds nice...

I don't know what it is....but I'm really starting to dig the vintage bikes...I might have to go with my "Plan-B"....resto a CT70 or RD350...might be cheaper

I will post pictures upon completion, as it is moving slow, it probably wont be until the fall sometime maybe later.