Steering Head Bearings

Please don't spam this thread to death - keep on topic. 🙂

I went with an All Balls bearing/seal kit. In the UK you're looking at roughly £30.

Slacken the top yolk nut off first before getting it up on the stand.

Remove wheel/forks & support bars and remove the yolks.

BarsUp.jpg

I honestly thought the hardest part was going to be removing the bottom bearing from the stem but that came off quite easily. The trickiest bit was knocking the outer races out. I had to constantly re-dress the punches as the hardened race easily put a round edge to the punch & it kept slipping off.

Nice feeling once the race moved enough to get a good purchase on it.

Bearings out

RaceOut.jpg

Not attractive.

OldBearings.jpg

I noticed these were 2 different makes of bearing so it looks like a previous owner just replaced one set at some time.

I had an idea the oil in the frame was melting the grease because I would get grease ooze out the bottom onto the yolk after a long ride but I now know why this was happening - this is the condition of the bottom seal as it dropped out..

DamagedSeal.jpg

Doing this little job just reinforced why I dislike letting other people do work for me.

Here's the condition of the top bearing - note the punch marks where the last monkey knocked it into the frame..

Can't really see it in this photo but the race was distorted enough to effect the rollers.

DamagedRace.jpg

New races straight out of the freezer & here's what I used to knock the them in. Nylon rod & block. I used the old outer race to knock them home flush.

CorrectTools.jpg

TopRace.jpg

BottomRace.jpg

Bearing packed with grease (pushed in from the bottom with the palm of my hand until I could see it coming out of the top) & seal fitted before knocking the bottom bearing onto the stem.

GreasedStem.jpg

All done, just need to put a few miles on it & finally adjust the bearings again.

TopSeal.jpg

so some guys have driled and tapped for a grease fitting to enable service grease with out taking the front end down. thoughts on doing that? some have mentioned placing a pvc pipe sleeve section on the stem to take up some of the air void area and reduce the amount of grease hanging in the steering head.

good write up with the pics.

so some guys have driled and tapped for a grease fitting to enable service grease with out taking the front end down. thoughts on doing that?

Yup, see my last photo - there's a grease nipple fitted but to be honest I found it easier to remove the nipple & use a syringe to inject grease in.

No grease gets to the top bearing this way unless you want to fully pack the void with grease.

Plastic sleeve is a good idea robb5.