2010 kx450f

Not sure what your weight and ability level is but here is a recent re-valve that I did for a 2010 KXF450 200lb 6'1 Jr.

Nitro-150 psi

COMP:16 out

Reb:12 out

HSC: 1 3/4 out

Sag: 102mm

5.6 spring

Maxima Racing Fork Oil (Red)

COMP

17-44x20

1-34x15

1-32x15

1-44x20

1-42x20

1-40x20

1-38x20

1-36x25

1-34x25

1-32x25

1-30x25

1-28x25

1-26x30

1-24x30

1-22x30

1-20x25

REB

5-40X20

1-26X10

1-40X30

1-38X30

1-36X30

1-34X30

1-32X30

1-30X30

1-28X30

1-27X30

If you want to learn more and do you own valving...check out my thread on the CRF450 Forum it is a sticky at the top. DIY Showa.....

theDogger:thumbsup:

So what are all you guys finding with the rear shock on this bike. General observations basically. What's the biggest complaint regarding how it's working in the real world.

1. The needle is too tight and does not provide for enough bleed. We resolve this by shimming the shaft in the clevis. Not that this is much different than the 09 and the CRF450Rs.

2. The piston bands are too often too tight, (most, not all). We usually machine these (all 50mm KYBs) down to 50.20mm.

3. The bumper is too small for MX. We have a kit for this which is based on the 2010 YZ450F bumper. Again, same for most of the 50/16 combos.

5. And, too much compression, not enough rebound. Same story for most things KYB and SHOWA.

So there.

We have some awesome set-ups for the 09-2010 KX450Fs so let me know if you need some help.

Dave

408-406-2089

I'll personally second doc's opinion.

IMHO shimming the needle is not absolutely necessary, instead running the adjuster out further than 12 clicks as most normally do is the quick fix there...

On a box stock bike I find 16-19 out works well on the rebound side.

Agreed the piston band is often tight. I have observed the 10 models being much better than the 09 models in general in this area.

More important questions for the OP are first and foremost what level rider you are and what type of riding do you do...

weight...and overall thoughts of the stock set up.

I have had set ups go either stiffer ....or softer...all depending on rider. I do not feel the stock set up too stiff in general.

On the 09 models I found that a different linkage seems to work wonders...

And my bumper testing is inconclusive. Mostly depends on the track...and set up! But I would agree sometimes if it came into play a little earlier it may work a tad better overall

The biggest hurdle on the kawi is overcoming all the bike's weight. It's truly a pig! Suspension plays a big part here...but really there is no way around the physics...the bike will never turn as good as a lighter version....so if you have some serious coin to play with...weight saving measures will get you around the track faster...and let the suspension be set up in less of a "compromise" to support that weight.

I'll personally second doc's opinion.

IMHO shimming the needle is not absolutely necessary, instead running the adjuster out further than 12 clicks as most normally do is the quick fix there...

On a box stock bike I find 16-19 out works well on the rebound side...

Agree...but you may come across a few where this doesn't cut it, and that's when shimming makes sense.

For some reason they are not consistent.

I rode the bike before I worked on it and it was an absolute pig. The thing weighs 250lbs. That's absurd. The Honda is 15lbs lighter and honestly feels 50 lbs lighter when your riding it. And it felt like it was a mile long. I just don't understand why they have to be that way. But thanks for all the replies you guys.

I rode the bike before I worked on it and it was an absolute pig. The thing weighs 250lbs. That's absurd. The Honda is 15lbs lighter and honestly feels 50 lbs lighter when your riding it. And it felt like it was a mile long. I just don't understand why they have to be that way. .

This is not me promoting two strokes, just my honest observation.

Once the two stroke phased out almost completely...and people forgot just how light the big bike class bikes really were...

Manufacturers had no reason to keep making it lighter. When all you need to beat is the lightest of the "heaviest"...you dont need to beat much!

And as we all know, minus the honda...the bikes are getting heavier now! Why?

Reliability. Consumers are crying for bikes that can last longer...and that will Not happen when weight limits are pushed.

Just ask the plethora of 09-10 honda owners who have had the most issues out of any bike ever! It's the price they are paying for light!

How do I know honda has issues...it's the single most worked on new bike in my shop bar none! And all the issues are really expensive...aka tranny failures, or cranks etc. As those parts were lightened...they got less durable.

The kawi...for the most part...has been dead reliable. But it's a pig! That's the price we must pay.

350s are coming...and I wish the 250 two were coming back!

your right. back in the good old days, the magazines would rag on a company if it's two stroke was two pounds heavier than the others. Now days it's barely mentioned. It's staggering the difference between some of these big bikes.

The 250 lbs is with a full gas tank with works out to be about 236 or so empty. Yes that's heavy, but a 1997 KX250 weighed 233 with an empty tank. Other than the Honda they (450s) all weight within a few pounds of each other. They all got heavier with the high demands being put on them from modern MX and SX. If my 214 lb Elsinore had the modern suspension on it, it would still break in half landing from some of the jumps on today's tracks.

Not enough rebound in the stacks in another problem.

that's what i meant what's confusing me.

If Doc's saying the rebound is slow i'd interpret this as being to stiff, whereas you're saying the opposite, that it needs more rebound.

or is this the result of

Not enough rebound bleed is one problem.

?

Bleed = faster/softer. That's what Dave is saying and is essentially the same thing Doug is saying.

BUT the KX shock even with the rebound adj backed all the way still may not be fast enough. That's why Dave is shimming the shaft/clevis to get the needle/bleed into a more usable range.

Yeah sorry guys for the confussion. Like Dave said some of these bikes have issues with the reb. rod not giving enough bleed. I've had some shocks where even with the reb. clicker all the way out the reb felt way to slow. This is where the shimming comes in. Once thats fixed you can valve a little stiffer and alls good.

doc

The 250 lbs is with a full gas tank with works out to be about 236 or so empty. Yes that's heavy, but a 1997 KX250 weighed 233 with an empty tank. Other than the Honda they (450s) all weight within a few pounds of each other. They all got heavier with the high demands being put on them from modern MX and SX. If my 214 lb Elsinore had the modern suspension on it, it would still break in half landing from some of the jumps on today's tracks.

u better check the weight again. a 1999 weighs 213.8 lbs I'd bet the 97 was identical. http://www.motorsports-network.com/kawasaki/99mc/99kx.htm#KX250

a current yzinger 250 is around 235ish fully loaded up.

Don't forget to get curb weight down the fuel tank capacity of the thumpers is getting smaller too with FI...

And that at top level guys are running out of fuel at end of motos!

Makes it tough on a privateer if he needs a greater capacity tank!