suspension lowering

I just purchased an '05 XR 650. My problem is that I'm somewhat vertically challenged @ 5'10" and 170 lbs. What are the best ways to lower the overall height by a minimum of 4"...? Can I cut a couple of inches off the rear spring..? Any and all advice would be much appreciated. Thanks and ride safe.

DO NOT CUT THE SPRING as a sole reason lowering the shock! There are many people here, who will give you better ideas, even though 4 inches is too much already-you have to take care of the fork as well

The reason you can't just cut the springs is that #1, you'll increase the springs rate and #2, the suspension still has the original amount of "up" travel. So if you went over a bump, your springs would be loose.

Internal spacers have to be installed to limit the extension of the fork and shock. After that, you need to fit the proper springs. I would not advise going 4" lower unless you plan to ride dirt-track with the bike. You would be surprised at how much 2" lowers the bike. Then with the proper springs and sag, you should be able to sit comfortably on it. You can cut the seat foam down a bit, as well.