Alternative to the Sprinter?

VW makes a neat 5 cylinder diesel van comparable to the Sprinter, however I don't know if it is currently being imported to North America. At least I know that it is not available in CA.

VW makes a neat 5 cylinder diesel van comparable to the Sprinter, however I don't know if it is currently being imported to North America. At least I know that it is not available in CA.

They used to import what they called the Transporter or something like that to Canada a few years back, but it was very expensive and didn't sell.

I hope this Nissan van is in the same price range as the american vans. They would finally have to update them.

I think this is a big leap for any Japanese car maker. From my memory, we have never had a Japanese cargo van in Canada.

I think there just arent enough diesels for people to want them. I know everywhere else in the world, people love the diesels. A diesel cargo van would be awesome...

Well, the overpriced and underpowered sprinter seems to have attracted some smaller (perhaps more useless) competitioin. The Nissan should be a easy sell over the Ford transit if its priced right. The fords 2.0 is such a slug, its size is perfect for hauling marshmellows.The nissan may even provide some needed competition for the General and FoMoCo's antiquated and screwed up offerings.

Ed Whitacre needs to get off his ass and update the G-van. a high roof option,a nose job,interior job,and offer the 5.3 in the 2500 would be a good start. (yes i KNOW the high roof is available aftermarket, but most people don't)

For those of you who dont already know, light duty Diesels are close to dead here in the states due to their high cost/decreased reliability brought to you by the far left environazis.

I guess my Sprinter doesn't realize that it is underpowered. It does a superb job at towing a light weight travel trailer, while toting a street bike and a dirt bike, tools, gear, etc and getting 14 - 16 MPG at the same time.

You guys in the States realize we are getting these "new to us" Nissans too, right?

I was excited about them until I realized they were only rear wheel drive. I love my E350 van but it's only drawback is it's worthless on snow/ice and while traveling over unimproved roads (like getting to staging areas).

I guess my Sprinter doesn't realize that it is underpowered. It does a superb job at towing a light weight travel trailer, while toting a street bike and a dirt bike, tools, gear, etc and getting 14 - 16 MPG at the same time.

Have you ever experianced a cummins diesel ?, compare the power to fuel milage to your sprinter and report back , not to mention dragging a 10000 pound trailer with a sprinter seems quite optimistic. hey if you like your sprinter great, but i'll stick to my big block gasser @ 12 mpg +/-

Have you ever experianced a cummins diesel ?, compare the power to fuel milage to your sprinter and report back , not to mention dragging a 10000 pound trailer with a sprinter seems quite optimistic. hey if you like your sprinter great, but i'll stick to my big block gasser @ 12 mpg +/-

How many high roof vans are available with a Cummins again? How many vans PERIOD for that matter?

For many guys, a Sprinter's specs fit the ticket perfectly.

For those that feel the need to drag along everything when they go riding including the kitchen sink, there are big blocks and diesels.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
For those of you who dont already know, light duty Diesels are close to dead here in the states due to their high cost/decreased reliability brought to you by the far left environazis.

While diesels have their place for torque and power. Unless they drop the price difference, I will never consider one in a privately owned vehicle unless I'm hauling a 30' trailer or bigger.

$7,000 additional on top of the vehicle price which has a gasoline engine. Then, on top of it, diesel is now about sixty cents more per gallon. That's A LOT of gasoline I can buy.

My work has a few Sprinter service vans and I know a few racers that have them. I thought about one later on down the road but have since changed my mind. I noticed that they rust pretty quickly. Everyone that I look at closely, especially where there is a dent where the paint chipped off, is rusting almost through. It reminded me of my old Nissan pickup which turned into a rust bucket. These were all the first gen Sprinters, the new ones look better. I like the new Nissan van, but would probbly get another GM van next.