4 or 2 stroke

hi i have always had 2 strokes and have a crazy fast 95 rm 250 which nearly killed me once but my brother has just bought a 05 250 kxf and i am scared to say i really like it. i know the high maintenance 2 stroke but i love the power band but the kx makes a hell of a noise cool

thanks for reading

lee

I grew up on two strokes....this 07 KX250F is my first four stroke....now that I am getting use to it......its pretty cool....

+1 Grew up on 2 strokes, 60-100-250. However, after riding a 4 stroke a year ago I'm addicted to them.

2 stroke is more rewarding. anyone can hop on a 250f. to easy. an 05+ 250 smoker would be the bike of my choice. Simplier cheaper. down right better in my opinion. Coming off a beasty 2 stroke the equivalent sized 4t won't be enough

2 stroke is more rewarding. anyone can hop on a 250f. to easy. an 05+ 250 smoker would be the bike of my choice. Simplier cheaper. down right better in my opinion. Coming off a beasty 2 stroke the equivalent sized 4t won't be enough

Right on the money!

250-2T = 400-4T ๐Ÿ™‚

thanks for replys people good ones. i can ride the 2 stroke pretty good not A class level and i do love the old bike even though it cost me heart and lung surgery !!!! think i will go with a newer 2 stroker and give the old girl a massive rebuild and pot it in the living room for the wife to polish ha ha lol

4 stroke makes you lazy because their so easy to ride

I recently sold my 450 (been on YZF and CRF over the last 4 years) due to money problems and picked up a cheap 125. The small motor makes you WORK to clear stuff but I dont pump-up at all and I can ride faster-longer.

Im enjoying my time on the 125 and will use it as a learning tool, to increase my skill level....

I've always ridden 2 strokes but I recently have been able to ride an 06 CRF250R and an 04 CRF450R.... I must say after riding my 250 2stroke for a few years, the 4 strokes almost felt boring....haha. The 450 had great power but because it was soo smooth I felt really lazy on it. The 250f was just a puppy...easiest and most predictable thing to ride on a track (which is good if you're hardcore into racing). But as far as a FUN bike to ride....nothing can beat the 250 smoker! Keeps you on your toes!! ๐Ÿ™‚

I hate it when people say stuff like "2 strokes are more fun/rewarding because of the powerband" because it really sounds stupid. Think about it. The crazy powerband of two strokes gives you hardly any midrange. A four stroke will go just as fast as a two stroke (assuming you get the sizes correct ex: 250 2t and 450 4t) but you actually have decent/manageable control over it. You CAN hit the throttle on a four stroke and accelerate just as fast as a two stroke, but on a two stroke, you can't accelerate up slowly. It's like on and off with a two stroke. With a four stroke, you can have the whole on and off deal if you want, but you can also have precision, and control.

See what I'm saying??

I hate it when people say stuff like "2 strokes are more fun/rewarding because of the powerband" because it really sounds stupid. Think about it. The crazy powerband of two strokes gives you hardly any midrange. A four stroke will go just as fast as a two stroke (assuming you get the sizes correct ex: 250 2t and 450 4t) but you actually have decent/manageable control over it. You CAN hit the throttle on a four stroke and accelerate just as fast as a two stroke, but on a two stroke, you can't accelerate up slowly. It's like on and off with a two stroke. With a four stroke, you can have the whole on and off deal if you want, but you can also have precision, and control.

See what I'm saying??

I will have to disagree. You would have to qualify that statement, as it not true of all 2 strokes, especially modern 2 strokes. A '78 YZ250, yeah I'll give you that, but a 2010 KTM 2 stroke? Not. Manufacturers have realized that 2 strokes need to be manageable to be marketable. Most are so adjustable these days, a 4stroke can't even compare unless you want to drop a lot of coin for aftermarket upgrades. You can change my '05 250EXC (2 stroke) a lot easier than my wife's '06 CRF250X.

I will have to disagree. You would have to qualify that statement, as it not true of all 2 strokes, especially modern 2 strokes. A '78 YZ250, yeah I'll give you that, but a 2010 KTM 2 stroke? Not. Manufacturers have realized that 2 strokes need to be manageable to be marketable. Most are so adjustable these days, a 4stroke can't even compare unless you want to drop a lot of coin for aftermarket upgrades. You can change my '05 250EXC (2 stroke) a lot easier than my wife's '06 CRF250X.

OK, fair enough, but in that case, why are two strokes better? The whole "Four strokes make you lazy" statement can't apply here. And if it's power, a 450 four stroke will smoke the 250EXC.

Neither is better, per Se, I think some are better for some others for others...I like the 2 stroke over my four stroke because of weight to power ratio and ease of maintenance. Whether or not 4strokes make you lazy, well you just might be lazy to begin with. I do find with a 4s you don't need to shift as much and there are a lot more available with the magic button, so maybe there is less of a leg workout, but then again 2strokes are a lot easier to kick over. Yes a 450 might smoke a 250EXC, but there are plenty of variables there and if you got to jump to a 450 to beat my 250, that sucks. What about versus a 300EXC, etc? We could go on all day, I guess its a preference...

See what I'm saying??

Yeah, so if you get a 4t bike of almost twice the CC, it will go as fast as a 2 stroke? Wow, that's impressive! ๐Ÿ™‚

Like stated above, that "crazy powerband" hasn't been an issue since the advent of the power valve and CDI. With jetting and tuning, you can make a 2 stroke every bit as smooth as you want it. It sounds like you've never ridden a modern two stroke to me!

Neither is better is a good philosophy, however, I have to disagree. 4 strokes rule the scene for one reason and one reason only, MARKETING. The entire point of an IC engine is to make power. If you can make more power with fewer moving parts in a smaller and lighter engine, it seems stupid to disregard it for a more complex design that makes LESS power and has more points of failure. In this sense, the 2 stroke motor is BETTER. For me, there are three criteria that are important in an engine. Power output, weight, and size. Two stroke wins.

Yeah, so if you get a 4t bike of almost twice the CC, it will go as fast as a 2 stroke? Wow, that's impressive! ๐Ÿ™‚

Like stated above, that "crazy powerband" hasn't been an issue since the advent of the power valve and CDI. With jetting and tuning, you can make a 2 stroke every bit as smooth as you want it. It sounds like you've never ridden a modern two stroke to me!

Neither is better is a good philosophy, however, I have to disagree. 4 strokes rule the scene for one reason and one reason only, MARKETING. The entire point of an IC engine is to make power. If you can make more power with fewer moving parts in a smaller and lighter engine, it seems stupid to disregard it for a more complex design that makes LESS power and has more points of failure. In this sense, the 2 stroke motor is BETTER. For me, there are three criteria that are important in an engine. Power output, weight, and size. Two stroke wins.

Some very good points there!! When people try to argue on the side of 4t, it sorta just sounds stupid... I mean, look at the facts!