Welding engine casing?

A stone came up and hit a spot underneath the casing on the left hand side just under the gear lever.

I think it can be welded and ill buy a proper skid plate instead of just the sump guard to protect it completely.

It isnt a hole but more of a crack no more than a couple of millimetres across and oil has been slowly leaking out.

What i want to know is what is on the inside of this area of the casing and is it an area where i should just buy a whole new side to save further damage, such as bearings inside, etc. Or would i be safe in welding it, as i dont have the cash on me at the minute for the latter of the two outcomes.

The photos below show where i mean, they're a bit blurry as my camera is terrible but you can make out the dent and crack.

Many thanks.

dsc03443t.th.jpg

dsc03444s.th.jpg

JB WELD...

I'm not sure you will be able to weld the magnesium... but I'm not a welder so don't take my word for it.

If its just the cover that is cracked.. remove it and clean it well.. apply JB WELD.. and thats it

Also thats the flywheel side of the case..

yes thats what i was wondering as it was magnesium.

A friend of mine welds for a living so ill take it to him as he'll be able to give me full details of it.

Its just the flywheel on the inside, no springs or anything.

I could tell you most things about cars but the internal maintenance on bikes are a bit of a puzzle to me.:banana:

I will learn soon ?

Magnesium can be welded but not easily. First they'd need to figure out what it is.. Generally it's not pure magesium but some alloy of magnesium and aluminum.

Magnesium that's been soaked in oil too is a bitch to clean. Tricky stuff but it can certainly be done if you find a local welder who will do it. Since it's not a critical component and you're just trying to plug/stop a leak in a thin cover that should make it a pretty cheap fix for a welder to attempt.

Easy enough to tell if it's pure magnesium. A new steel razor should easily shave off a small chip which you could then light with a torch. If it burns with an intense white/purple light and gives off a bit of white smoke then it's probably pretty pure magnesium.

for the 2nd time my chain snapped off and broke the part of my casing where the clutch goes to the transmission and it snapped my nice new billet case saver. just annihilated the whole area. luckily i had the piece from the last time and surprising the fit was almost perfect. last time it had been to late i frigged around on it before fixing it and dirt chipped one of my gears and detonated my whole bottom end. sooo hopefully it doesnt happen again. also last summer on my old cr85 i changed the oil, and over tightened/cross threaded it a stupid amount and snapped the entire area where the drain plug goes. my dad and i re-welded it. i was and am still knew to the mechanics side of motocross when i was younger it was normally just my dad.. but yes anyways you should be able to weld it.