07 525 oily mess

I've read various posts in the past and have done numerous searches today, however, I can't find a similar problem. After about 30 min of 50 mph max pavement and then a gravel road I found my bike soaked in oil. The oil was from about halfway down the rear shock and onto the swingarm coating its entire length. The rear rim was coated and slung it all over the tire sidewall and underside of rear fender. I had this problem on the last ride I did at the end of last season and kinda forgot about it. I thought it was from a lot of steep downhills with compression braking and wrote it off as to the particular ride conditions. No hills today and bike has not been on its right side. If it is the crankbreather then it should go into the carb and get burned. It almost appears to be coming from the airbox drain and then the wind whips it all over. Any ideas where/why its doing this? Bike runs great, so I don't think it's going into the carb. No smoke from exhaust. I'm stumped. It's almost like a hose sprung a leak under pressure and is spaying everything. I have the tank off and can't find anything. I have had the bike since new in '07 and no past problem. Help me please.

I suggest you a) ensure that you have the correct amount of oil in engine

🙂 thoroughly clean all engine casings etc.

c) run bike through gears for 10 minutes on your stand

d) look at all engine side casing gasket areas for oil leaks

e) look for oil dribbling down from any leaks at top end of engine.

I had a 2004 450exc which leaked from the right hand engine casing gasket. I smeared some autocar exhaust hole putty into the broken gasket space, and this held tight for over a year until selling time.

All motor gaskets are fine. Oil starts about halfway up the rear shock and continues down and back from there with help from the wind. I can reach down into the valley of the airbox below with the filter removed and it has the same clean oil residue in it. I was running the oil level at half a sight glass but today it was probably 1/3. When I got home I had to lean the bike over towards the window to see some oil, so I know it's not an overfill issue. I just don't know how it would flow out the back of the carb and through the filter into the airbox, or why? Would something plugged elsewhere in the smog stuff cause increased crank case pressure?

O.K. here's a little more info. I went in the semi-dark garage and used a flashlight to inspect the bike. There is no oil in the intake tract, so it is not coming from the large breather, which makes sense as the bike runs great. Wherever the oil is coming from it is getting forced by the wind into the flap on the bottom left corner of the airbox. It looks like I may need to remove the skid plate and run it on the stand as suggested to see where it is coming from. Does any of the smog stuff have oil underpressure in it. What about where it goes up near the steering head and into the frame via the grey elbow? Where does that drain down to, as I can see the shine of oil film near the front of the skid plate? It is hard to imagine that the gaskets may only leak when hot, at least at the volume that is coming out. Is that really a possibility? Are KTM's gaskets poor quality? Is there a particular gasket prone to failure (Clutch, Stator)? Thanks for any help you guys provide.

Edited by dizze004
new info to add

" Wherever the oil is coming from it is getting forced by the wind into the flap on the bottom left corner of the airbox. "

You could easily check this theory by thoroughly cleaning inside the aperture and taping closed the small bottom flap. After a ride, if there's oil all over the outside of the flap ( and none inside ) then your problem has nothing to do with your airbox. If there is oil inside the flap, then it has nothing to do with any engine/gasket leaks.

Sorry about the response delay. I had the bike ready for a leak test last week and due to a burglary the test was delayed. Now my home's airconditioner went out, so I'm hoping to test this week. I will definitely let you know the outcome. The way my luck is running, I'm almost affraid to test the bike. As usual you can count on thumpertalk to have fellow riders concerned with solving issues and I thank you all in advance.

I think it is your clutch cover gasket. Take a good look on top above where the kick starter goes into the case. Your year model gasket is a paper gasket and thin, they get sucked into the case there and spit oil up exactly like you are talking about.

If you order a new gasket there is an update (a good KTM shop will know this) and the new gasket is very stiff (I beleve some metal mixed in with the paper?) ... this prevents it from being sucked in.

If you don't have a good shop, Moore & Sons KTM in Santa Cruz, CA knows all about this and can mail you out the gasket.

(Oh, and for some reason the oil does not run down the case ... it spits oil up and towards the center of the bike at higher rpms, so just idling around you don't see it spitting out oil)

• 3 weeks later...

Finally got a chance to track down the leak. Thanks to usetobefast, I took off the clutch side case and could easily tell where the gasket got sucked in just above the kickstarter. I will try to attach pictures. Look at the gasket just above the kickstarter spring, it is lower than the case edge and has a buckle in it.

005.jpg

004.jpg

003.jpg

Not good with pictures. Hope this works. Thanks to Thumpertalk, dudenstumpy and usetobefast for the best of info.

Edited by dizze004
forgot a thankyou

Well a new gasket is in order and that might fix it? It would appear to me that the case is not uniformly pinching the gasket so I would want to surface the cover first to fix any warpage. This is done with sandpaper on a granite slab, piece of glass or I use my mill table.

Replaced the gasket and used spray permatex on both sides first for some added adhesion. Took a short freeway run and it seems to be fixed. I'll know for sure when I get a chance to go on a long ride. Thanks again to all that provided insight, as I was in disbelief about the case gasket-initially.