reving the bike

This may sound a lil stupid but Its my first 2 stroke and when I hear that engine screaming in 2nd trying to climb a sand hill it makes me nervous.Its a 2002 kx250 and was wondering what is the safe limit on the rpms,is it pin it and not worry or regulate the throttle not letting it stay in the high rev for a long period.These engines seem to sound like they are reving even when just cruising along,its hard to determine if its topped out or half way there.

You aren't going to hurt it one bit by screaming it. Two-strokes don't have valves to float. A mechanically sound two-stroke MX bike could probably safely rev to 20,000 rpm or more before anything came apart, and since the breathing ability won't let them get anywhere close to that, don't worry. I doubt the KX250 will rev much past 11,000 rpm or so, and it stops making power long before that.

Of course the KX250 doesn't really make much power on top, so revving every gear until it stops revving isn't a very good way to go fast. You want to get in the habit of shifting while still in the meat of the power.

its not the going fast thing i care for just when your climbing and you start in 2nd i don't try to change the gear half way up a steep hill,just let it ride.Just wanted to know if it was hurting anything by reving it out up the hill,although it seems to run better after a bit of punishment.Thanks for the input,i will not worry about it anymore.

I done the same thing when I got my first 2t I was always wandering if I was over reving it. But I really was not it just sounded like it was reving high. Also I have learned if you run it harder up a hill it seems like it is easier to make it up and then throttle it.

I am always inclined to rev my KDX until the thing doesnt make any power and falls on its face, I keep it pinned sometimes. These racing engines, not car engines. these engines are made to run fast and run fast only. they love to scream!