big 30 somthing trying to sort things out!

I am 36 years old 6'3, weight 250 lbs. and wanting to get back into MX. We will be doing some spirted riding and exploring the Rocky mountains near Calgary. I rode/raced MX at the tender age of 7 till I was 10. Been on and off bikes all my life some dogs and some fast ones. I have never purchashed a true MX bike for myself. I have got a couple of daughters riding and now it is time for me to find a bike. I will be exploring solo and taking the ducklings out for weekend excursions.

My question is what will fit me and my riding style. I was going to spend 3 to 5k on a used bike. Then possiably get the suspension tuned depending on cost. Some of the bikes around here are in my range but not sure if they are right for me. Let me know what you think I am all ears.....

04 CRF450

06 WR450

05 EXC200 2 stroke (read they are good?)

06 CR250

Are these close.

first off im assuming its trail riding in the hills ? if not ignore most of this 🙂

so i would recommend a 450 thumper with some gearing and suspension( gonna run about 500 bucks to have it all done)

and ya all the bikes you listed are good options for your weight some guys will tell you a 450 is too much to handle but common you weigh 250 im sure you can manhandle it when necessary and there is nothing like knowing you have oobs of power behind you in a tough situation

Thanks that is what I was thinking. Benching 320lbs for a few years now without working out. I have ridden some fun bikes but never an all out snot monster. I am pretty level headed for the most part. So, Will an older 4 stroke be a better mule than a older two stoke?

I can't wait much longer it is killing me.

The girls are riding RED.

Your looking in the rite direction, I'd recommend a wr450 ,crf450x, ktm 450, ktm 300 or even a xr400 or 650.

Coming off street bikes I think you will find the seating position easyier to manhandle the bike. I bench over 300 as well and I still get gassed trail riding a 450 in the trails, offroad riding is more of an endurance thing than what you can put up on the bench so make sure you are comfortable on whatever you get.

thanks all, I just got done reading how big the 450X feels in the woods and on the rocks. Suspension is hard to dial in! Damn there is a great one here locally.

Would love to find a 300XC but no dice. Read they are super reliable and easy to ride.

Note taken bout the endurance. I anit saying I am mister muscles but I anit afraid of a big bike is all I am saying.

Back to researching the WR450.

I know you weren't saying that, but being able to put up that kind of weight you tend to use you bodys strengths instead of your bikes strengths. Your defiantly looking in the rite direction I'd just recommend staying away from the high compression 450's their really not trail happy. Like I said look for crf450X's the wr450's. To bad about you not being able to find a 300 I'vc ridden/ owened these bike and the 300 outshines them all (IMO).