El Mirage 06/2010

I have a habit of falling in love with places people, here on TT, hate.

Yay, more for me.

I also have a terrible habit of not taking pictures... Blame it on my youth I guess. So this is a lame ride report. But at least I'm contributing in a positive way!

Anyway, June 20-22 was mid week and mild 90's. Perfect for a camping trip!

The lakebed is completely dry and the west and east loops are dry, rocky, and sandy. In fact I was surprised to find most of surface of the lake bed was like endless concrete. Perfectly flawless with no cracking at all. Although, some were less than perfect!

01100.jpg

Camped near liberty point right at the edge of the south side of the lakebed.

0240.jpg

Mike (brother) getting a feel for the desert.

0330.jpg

1337.jpg

Mike and I on our KDXs blasting back at a GPSed 74.3 MPH! Surprizing for 1981!!!

0420.jpg

Rezurection Hill provides 9-10 differnt small hillclimbs that range from Extreme (steep, with thousands of boulders/frags and 2-4 ft step ups) to moderate (requires serious commitment/speed, not quite a sphincter clench though). We did 8 different ones and back down in like 30 minutes. So not huge but offers many different technical skills. Worth some time if you like rock climbs.

0528.jpg

0619.jpg

0717.jpg

0816.jpg

0910.jpg

1059.jpg

EAST ANDWEST LOOPS WERE FUN.

We proceded to do both loops over the 3 days. Both are in great condition and have a few technical sections where it's weather beaten. Sorry no pics of the loops this time. I never stop when getting a good trail vibe on! I'm getting a helmet cam soon to make ride reports easier.

The dog just loved the freedom. Circled camp within a half mile for all three days, just roaming...

11109.jpg

1277.jpg

Even Sneeze got some sweet top speed time... 51.5 MPH! I love pitbikes.

1436.jpg

1529.jpg

1726.jpg

CAMP

1822.jpg

Great Sunset ride!!!

1920.jpg

Little campfire action with some beers and grass always boosts morale and

unwinds the days action with some colorful banter!

21100.jpg

2225.jpg

All in all, I never made contact with another soul out there for all 3 days. No rangers, no people, no contact. EXCELLENT. -BIG DAN thumbsup:

Awesome report... Thanks for sharing.

Climbing that hill took me out about 20 years ago for a few days. Caused a major incident at work when I found out calling in sick injured killed my crew's 5 year saftey record ! I was shit to the company and my union bros that month ! Who knew ? LOL

Thanks again

Climbing that hill took me out about 20 years ago for a few days.

On first approach I underestimated it and imagined slick sand all the way to the top. Not the case, infact, one particular rocky step up got my feet off the pegs for a moment! Pheew! Not for beginners... -big dan:thumbsup:

Nice report, brings back memories. Back in the '80's, before fences and fees, El Mirage was our spot. Set up camp in the hills to the west by County line, would ride the lakebed, Shadow Mountain, Hi Vista, Three Sisters, Black Butte etc.

Good times, good times............

The first time I went to El Mirage was just before they made it a fee area. the lake bed was closed and it was a zoo. I never wanted to go back again. the second time I went, I met up with nrokurow and his family for a half day trip, had memories of the first trip, but went anyway. I had a good time. And, the last time I went for an overnight camping trip with members of the BTE. had a good time as well. Camped in one of them coves, got away from the crowds.. There are all sorts of conditions. the lake bed is fun, but there is much more than that.

• Like 1

the lake bed is fun, but there is much more than that.

The lake bed is good for teaching someone how to ride. Nowhere to go wrong!

Also, I like going for top speed blasts for miles!

But the real fun was had on the west and east loops through the shadow mountains and little shadow mountains. They are not crazy long or hard but provided great fun!

We didn't even take pictures on the loops we were having a good time. I think they recorded 20+ miles each on the GPS. I'll get good pics of the loops next time.

FEES are bull... But I bought the annual pass and an annual forest pass, so I'm covered year round for anywhere I want to be. I am anti crowds so, weekdays are the only way for me! -BIG DAN:thumbsup:

PM me for quiet, vintage, legal camping trips... I'm always free

Back in the '80's, before fences and fees, El Mirage was our spot. Set up camp in the hills to the west by County line, would ride the lakebed, Shadow Mountain, Hi Vista, Three Sisters, Black Butte etc.

Good times, good times............

Yup. Once upon a time, in a land far far away.......

For a small hill there was one run on rezurection that was a little tough with my bald rear tire. i go out there occasionally with a group that has kids, in fact i am still healing from a bad get off i had there mid june. i was disappointed with the west trail loop when we went. they had scraped the entire trail with a tractor or something and re routed some parts of the trail that were fun.

For a small hill there was one run on rezurection that was a little tough with my bald rear tire. i go out there occasionally with a group that has kids, in fact i am still healing from a bad get off i had there mid june. i was disappointed with the west trail loop when we went. they had scraped the entire trail with a tractor or something and re routed some parts of the trail that were fun.

I was gonna make a crack about the FOJ making it's way out there until I just saw you do have the FOEM already ! :banana:

FRIENDS,

FLATTENERS

&

FENCERS OF EL MIRAGE ๐Ÿ™‚

Flatteners, that's funny. seriously though, it looked liked they tried to make a 3 foot wide wooped out trail flat and wide enough for a truck.... ok not that wide but plants were stripped and large rocks were crushed as they carved through the landscape.

• Like 1

Two wheels, 45000 acres... I'll make it work.

This day in age you have to be content with what you have, regardless of what it used to be. It's called happiness.

As long as it involves my dirtbike... -BIG DAN:thumbsup:

• Like 1

Flatteners, that's funny. seriously though, it looked liked they tried to make a 3 foot wide wooped out trail flat and wide enough for a truck.... ok not that wide but plants were stripped and large rocks were crushed as they carved through the landscape.

Gotta make it "safe and sane". Wouldn't want anyone to fall off their OHV and get hurt. I'm coming to the conclusion if it has "friends" in the title, we're screwed.๐Ÿ™‚

I like to go out there once a year at the beginning of the season so my son can get his chops down after not riding for a while. It gives him alot of confidence which he builds on after every ride. el mirage serves that purpose for me and gets us stoked on better rides. Not alot of worries out there, and definately good times! thanks for the report Big D!

• Like 1

Two wheels, 45000 acres... I'll make it work.

This day in age you have to be content with what you have, regardless of what it used to be. It's called happiness.

As long as it involves my dirtbike... -BIG DAN:thumbsup:

Thats cause you are 25. You aren't old enough to have experienced 20 or 30 years of lost trails. Give it time... you will be just as sad and bitter as the rest of us. ๐Ÿ™‚

And NO you don't have to be content. Being content is why they get away with it year after year. When you decide enough is enough it will be too late. Thats how us old guys feel now.

Like I said earlier - once upon a time, El Mirage was fantastic. I'm glad people dig it still, but it's not the same place. If I have to teach someone how to ride, or take out the little guys, that's still my #1 destination. But it's not like the old days. Not even close. Really, not even a glimmer of how it used to be. There was great singletrack going every direction, no fences, no "friends" flattening out trails, cool people, jackrabbits everywhere, desert tortises everywhere, mad max type machines on the lakebed and you could ride to anywhere from the lakebed - Lucerne, Barstow, Mojave, Wrightwood...... Always a cool hang. Not so much anymore.....

Last time I was there (a few years ago) there was zero singletrack and my favorite rides had been fenced off. Kind of a bummer.

But I'm glad people who didn't know the "old" El Mirage are still having fun out there. Good ride report SRAD!

Srad, Dont let these keyboard dickheads ruin your report,

Looks like you had a great time. I miss Ascot, and Saugus, Riverside, Ontario speedway

Indian Dunes, The REAL saddle back park in OC, .....Hmm, ...Drive inns, Car hops, Real leaded gas

At least someone out there saved El Mirage from certain demise from development

and the EM "friends" are in the last stages of aqiuring the last parcels there for our future

Again, criticism criticism, Same BS from the same people who do nothing ๐Ÿ™‚:blah:

Wayne

• Like 1

Havin' a bad Wayne? We said we liked the ride report, and were reminicing about how it "USED" to be. No harm there. If you ever pulled your head out of the sand, you might be surprised at what you see,,,,

Have a fun day!

thought I would would start some shit for old time sake

In an ever changing world that often seems like it's spinning out of control, it's good to know there's some constants that I can depend on. A groundwork that never changes. It's a dirty job, but someone has to do it. Thanks for volunteering, and staying consistant Wayne. ๐Ÿ™‚:banana:

In all actuallity, I have not really done much volunteering for the cause this year,

shop has been busy, I come up for air(Pull my head out of the sand

for a day) and witness the same stuff here on ThumperTalk as always

Spinning out of control?........ LOL .....too funny

Have a great day all, Im going riding!

Wayne