Lowering XT 550

Don't use tire pressure to lower your bike. It will wreck the handling possibly making it difficult or dangerous to ride.

I am not sure how much you want to lower it, but I would start by raising the forks in the triple clamp and reducing the preload on the rear shock (I can't recall if this is possible on the 550). This too will effect handling, but it won't be as drastic.

Another way to reduce seat height without changing the handling is to remove the seat cover, cut the seat foam down (an inch or so) and re-install the cover. Supposedly you can do this with an electric carving knife. I have never tried this myself.

Sweet!!! Thanks guys!! I'll let y'all know how it turns out, I already shaved the seat, if you look on youtube there are vids on how to do it, it was pretty simple, not pretty, but simple, haha. Thanks again!!

Don't use tire pressure to lower your bike. It will wreck the handling possibly making it difficult or dangerous to ride.

I am not sure how much you want to lower it, but I would start by raising the forks in the triple clamp and reducing the preload on the rear shock (I can't recall if this is possible on the 550). This too will effect handling, but it won't be as drastic.

Another way to reduce seat height without changing the handling is to remove the seat cover, cut the seat foam down (an inch or so) and re-install the cover. Supposedly you can do this with an electric carving knife. I have never tried this myself.

Chopping the seat worked for me. I paid an upholstery shop $75 to have do it. Brought the bike, picked it up in the afternoon. Made a decent difference.

I'm not so sure how much you can gain (lose) by changing the rear sag. I dropped mine and found I was bottoming out on harsh bumps. I set it back up and decided to deal with the overly tall height. I'm OK in boots, sneakers on the tips of my toes and ball of my feet. Not that you should ride in sneakers, but just to give you an idea of how vertically challenged I am.