Is the MRD/SSW system with the quiet core really 96db?

Like the title says, is the SSW exhaust with the 96db quiet core and the spark arrestor really 96db??? My friends CRF450R with a 96db yosh RS-2 seems way quieter.

I ask because we were getting ready to go ride and our bikes were setting at idle (short warm up period while we finished putting our gear on) I noticed my bike seemed a lot louder at idle? My pipe only has about 3 hours on it, so the packing should be fine.... I was just curious, because my bike also seems to be louder while were ridng too. atleast thats what family and friends spectating said.

I was wondering if this would be from the head pipe, it is a considerably larger diameter than the 450's head pipe, I dont know if the can's would be about thye same, because the the Yosh is shorter, but its a larger diameter, and the MRD is longer, but has a smaller diameter?

If memory serves me correct.......I`d say 101 db sae. A few things worth mentioning..... Those were done on a full SSW 470 motor......And is louder than stock.....How much.....I`m guessing 2-3 db more....Which would put it around 98-99 on a stock motor.....But that is just a guess. I am sure Dave would not post it as a 96 db insert if it was not. He`s a honest man.....But sound is so different to measure with consistency. It can vary from day to day......then what surroundings you have to reflect it back to the meter. More importantly....as Eddie stated.... The human ear is the worst meter....Like some people are sensitive to frequency's around 4000hz.....and other around 1500 hz.... I will give you an example..... Lot`s of people here love the sound of the ssw/mrd with the quiet insert...... When I had mine in.....I thought it was the worst sounding pipe....ever....and quickly removed it after testing was done. Made my own tip.....which lowered the sound evenly as the tip......( but snuffed a few hp as well)......liking it....only to find that Eddie thought it sounded like @$&%.......:banana:๐Ÿคฃ.....I eventually ended up making my own pipe for this great system....because the tip....ehhh....should we say.....did not match the look of Darth Vador.

๐Ÿ™‚๐Ÿ‘

Erling

I had to put one in mine for all of 10 minutes just for my bike to pass inspection then I took it right out. It's really quiet compared to without it, but it'll still make some noise at WOT. It also steals a lot of power which was significantly noticable.

Like the title says, is the SSW exhaust with the 96db quiet core and the spark arrestor really 96db??? My friends CRF450R with a 96db yosh RS-2 seems way quieter.

I ask because we were getting ready to go ride and our bikes were setting at idle (short warm up period while we finished putting our gear on) I noticed my bike seemed a lot louder at idle? My pipe only has about 3 hours on it, so the packing should be fine.... I was just curious, because my bike also seems to be louder while were ridng too. atleast thats what family and friends spectating said.

I was wondering if this would be from the head pipe, it is a considerably larger diameter than the 450's head pipe, I dont know if the can's would be about thye same, because the the Yosh is shorter, but its a larger diameter, and the MRD is longer, but has a smaller diameter?

the only real way to tell is to check them all at full throttle with a DB meter because thats where they are the loudest ( any other RPM doesnt matter ) the SSW has deeper tone that is deceiving , I bet the CRF 450 is louder at full throttle because it has 10 hp more , the FIM has a new full throttle test method because there are so many variables in sound checking the SAE way, its called the 2 METER MAX test , you hold the sound meter 78" away at a 45 deg. angle from the exhaust tip with the meter set at max hold , then the other guy quickly twists the throttle wide open and releases it to take the reading , I have been posting that this industry needs a full throttle sound test for over 5 years on TT , when the AMA adopts the 2 METER MAX test I am going to do a back flip and dance a jig ๐Ÿ™‚

While reading this thread a question is screaming in my mind: Why can a thumper not be muffled & still make good power? This is not the case with mutiple cylinder engines so why does the single stand out in this respect?

Edited by Speedfreaks101
huked on fonics failed

While reading this thread a question isd screaming in my mind: Why can a thumper not be muffled & still make good power? This is not the case with mutiple cylinder engines so why does the single stand out in this respect?

The hard pulses from the single cylinder is free....sort of...to move through the exhaust system....whereas in the twin.....they dampen...( with respect to noise)...each other somewhat. That has a muffling effect, that lowers the noise.....๐Ÿ™‚๐Ÿ‘

Erling

The hard pulses from the single cylinder is free....sort of...to move through the exhaust system....whereas in the twin.....they dampen...( with respect to noise)...each other somewhat. That has a muffling effect, that lowers the noise.....๐Ÿ™‚๐Ÿ‘

Erling

Yet guy's still ride loud freaking V-twin Harley's, that are annoying as heck...

I know my DRZ is loud too, but I dont find it to be as annoying as a Harley.

While reading this thread a question is screaming in my mind: Why can a thumper not be muffled & still make good power? This is not the case with mutiple cylinder engines so why does the single stand out in this respect?

its because a multi cyl engine can have the headers run into a collector that helps scavanging even if the muffler is baffeled , and a restricked muffler on a single cyl causes too much reversion pulse that hurts scavanging .......... but a multi cyl will still run better with an open muffler after the collector too