Suzuki DR 350...a 7 month riding impression.

I've had the DR for just over 6 months now and thought I'd share my thoughts on it. It was tagged in March, since then, I've put a little over 4000 miles on it....1600 on last week's New England trip. It's performed flawlessly, started EVERY TIME I hit the button. Even with my Airhawk on the modified seat...it's not a comfortable long-distance bike. It was never designed to be one...so, I don't look at it as a flaw. 🙂 I did it over a period of 5 days...the first day I did 386 miles, the rest of the trip was spent at a laidback pace with no more than 250 miles in a day. I can personally attest to the fact that the low mileage days are the way to go.

It's been through a few off road excursions including stream crossings, mud, etc. It's traveled on freeways for extended periods of time (150 miles or more) at speeds of 65 mph. It's taken it all.

I have a bit of a hard time keeping up with others who want to cruise at 70 mph +...I just have to hang back and let them go. Fine by me.

I'd considered a KLR 650, DR 650...other larger displacement dual-sport bikes when shopping around. I took the advice of a few here and purchased a smaller, lighter bike to get re-acquainted with dual-sport riding. I'm glad I took that advice and ran with it...something to be said for lightweight off road...especially for an old guy.

I've seen quite a bit of fun in return for the $850 I plopped down on it. I plan to continue riding the piss out of it until she blows. At that point, rebuild/repeat.

The most important thing (and the reason I bought it) is that it's allowed me to take dirt roads and trails I'd have passed on a street-only bike. Now I get to see views that I'd never have seen otherwise...explore places I've never been before...most importantly...even more motivation to ride.

While I was on the trip to the left coast, I'd often wished I'd had it vs. the other (street-only) bike. Some of those dirt roads in NM, AZ, NV and CA looked like they could have been fun. :banana:

The most important thing (and the reason I bought it) is that it's allowed me to take dirt roads and trails I'd have passed on a street-only bike. Now I get to see views that I'd never have seen otherwise...explore places I've never been before...most importantly...even more motivation to ride.

While I was on the trip to the left coast, I'd often wished I'd had it vs. the other (street-only) bike. Some of those dirt roads in NM, AZ, NV and CA looked like they could have been fun. 🙂

If you ever find yourself out this way on your DR350 look me up, I'll ride with ya:thumbsup: And I'm here to tell you that your eyes weren't decieving you about those trails you saw. There's gobs o' great trails to ride out here. Something for any skill level. Ant time from September thru May is the best time to ride here IMO.

I was away from bikes for a long time. So when it came time to get another one about six months back, I bought a dual-sport for the same reason you did. I'm able to go places and see things I never would have otherwise. Part of me actually feels a little sorry for all the poor sods that don't.....

Naaaahhh!:banana:

I might get back up that way this summer, but...on a more comfortable bike.

Started here in Manassas, spent the night about 10 miles outside of Saugerties(SP?), NY. Then to Atkinson, NH, hung out with a friend and spent the night. Met some friends in Greenfield, MA...camped out, did the Puppy Dog route up to Silver Lake Campground in VT, spent the night. Next morning headed south to Port Jervis, NY, spent another night and came home the next day. 5 days all total, almost 3 on my own...got to go at my own pace.

Just a few misc shots...

NETrip026-1.jpg

NETrip031.jpg

NETrip019.jpg

NETrip035.jpg

thats a serious mission on such a small bike

That's what I thought too...until I borrowed the Mondo Enduro video from a friend. I thought to myself, if they can go around the world on one, a short jaunt to NE should be a piece of cake. You can go anywhere on a DR 350...any distance. It might take you awhile, but...it'll do it. 🙂

for the DR350's there are aftermarket seat foam replacements from one of the MX bike aftermarket outfits. I think I found them on the TT store at one time.

the variety covered the bases:

offered in firm and soft foams

tall, medium, low.

Having hand-reworked my two DR650 seats, the ticket would be to buy the tall foam seat, then carve it to be 'flat' with respect to the ground. for my rear end, what worked on the 650 was to slightly widen it, flatten it out so it has no hump at all, and make it level to the ground, end to end. then recover with medium dense foam, reapply the stock cover.

the tall foam block as a starting point would give you enough seat to work with so that you can do the front to back flattening without running afoul of the rise of the underlying pan... it does not sit level, but rises from front toward rear.

• 2 weeks later...

Yep, the DR350 is highly underrated. I've owned several and currently have two tagged. I recently rode one of mine 2,500 miles (10 days) on the Trans-America Trail from eastern TN to Taos, NM. IMO, it was the right bike for that trip.

thats a serious mission on such a small bike, i dont like riding mine on the street for more then a few blocks.😏

A few blocks!,Ive done lots of day trips around Panama on my plated XR250,

Its got that great 6th gear,Ive got it geared as tall as it will pull,and its not bad at all,sure the butt starts hurting after a few hours,but oh what fun.