Not confident in my riding ability. Advice?

Hi. I am 15 and a lightweight mma fighter. Someone at my gym races 450A and he got me interested in moto. I have been riding dirtbikes since I was 4 so I am familiar with them. I spent the money I had saved up for a car on a kx250f. I got the suspension set for my weight and a jet kit. But I am really nervous to go to the track for practice. I do not know why but it is out of my comfort zone. I have went to the track and spectated a couple of times. Why am I so nervous? Is this normal? Should I just man up and go? Any advice would be nice, thanks.

Its your first time out on the track, so your probably gunna be nervous. Man up and go practice at the track. Dont ride over your head, just do things you feel comfortable with, as your skill increases you will be able to do bigger things....dont be worried about looking slow, all that matters is that your having fun

Are you concerned about your riding or not keeping up with other riders? When you first start you will not be fast! I say go ride the track (see if they have days or times set aside for your skill level) also look for someone slightly faster and follow them around.

just ride the bike. at this point dont worry about being faster than the next guy. I used to be self concous about how i compared to other people. than i realized that i just like having a good time on my bike. Relax work on your corners whoops, start hittin the tables then when you feel it just sack up and clear them. The best solution is seat time. Once you get some skills and can flow it will be alot of fun.

For your first time on the track, one of the most important things you can do is to make sure you keep in touch with your surroundings and hold your own line. If someone faster is coming up behind you it is their responsibility to not run you over but it's equally your responsibility to not make any sudden movements to cut across the track. Definetly don't try to be an instant pro, you'll be leaving in the meat wagon. Everyone out there had the same jitters as you do at one point and they were all in your position at some point in their life. Man up and get out there.

Being nervous is part of it, You have to clear your head and just tell yourself i have to do this and if your mentally strong you will be fine. Start out slow, Guys that are flying around and nailing every jump are definitely smart and they didnt get there overnight, their not going to run you over and they know how Newbies ride.

Watch other riders for lines and technique, Take the GOOD Advice and just get some seat time, start out on a slower track if you have that option, ride with your own group or class.

Being nervous is part of it, You have to clear your head and just tell yourself i have to do this and if your mentally strong you will be fine. Start out slow, Guys that are flying around and nailing every jump are definitely smart and they didnt get there overnight, their not going to run you over and they know how Newbies ride.

+1. For the whole first season I rode at my local track I felt like throwing up every time I drove through the gate. Sort of like how I feel now everytime on the gate for a moto.🙂

OP, just take it easy and don't worry about how fast you are or how you look. I guarantee that you won't be fast at first, so don't be concerned with that. Work on your form and technique, after you get those correct you can go as fast as you want. It is more important to be cautious and come home in one piece than to try something way over your head and get hurt.

Mark

i remember my first time going to the track if you want to get some practice in get a buddy and pick an overcast day and be there 10 minutes before the track opens up and there will generally be nobody there i was lucky my first time there there was only me my buddie and just one other guy.

I felt much the same way but I found someone who was very nice and taught me the ropes of the track. I still feel like the slow one out there and don't jump as high but I have some fun doing it. Once you go you will want to go back and attempt to get better and eventually the fear will subside.

I agree with RWYZ450F. Stay in your comfort zone, ride with other beginners (even though at some tracks there are fast guys) and most importantly HOLD YOU'RE LINE. The faster riders coming up behind have already been judging your movements and are setting up to pass and will usually try to get past as fast as possible. Try not to keep looking back as this will make you weave back and forth, you're bike will follow you're eyes, if you want to see traffic behind you wait til a corner. Then you're head will already be turned looking at the exit. The first few times out try to stay out of the main line and eventually you will get more comfortable and speed will follow you're comfort level. Don't worry about what others may think. Main objective is to HAVE FUN!!!

i remember my first time going to the track if you want to get some practice in get a buddy and pick an overcast day and be there 10 minutes before the track opens up and there will generally be nobody there i was lucky my first time there there was only me my buddie and just one other guy.

This is what I did for my first track trip, it was a tuesday morning and the weather was no ideal, we had the place to ourselves ALL DAY

Ah man, I remember my first trip to the track, and I still get it when I go to race at tracks I've never been to before. The main thing, like everyone else has already said, is to have fun. YOU WILL NOT BE FAST, so dont worry about trying to be. Just ride at your skill level, and another important thing is to stay out of the main line whenever there is someone faster than you behind you, and hold your line over jumps, even if your not hitting them. You do not want to be landed on. Do not try the big doubles/triples, start with table tops. Get used to hitting them and getting a little air, and gradually go farther and farther, and wall-ah! you will clear them in no time.