What do you bring with you when you trail ride?

What do you bring with you when you trail ride? (Tools, Parts, etc...) and what do you carry them in? I was going to get a front fender pack that attached to the number plate, but they wanted 35 bucks for it, and I couldn't justify spending that much on something i could just rig up.....THOUGHTS?

I carry a sweet fanny pack that has two water bottle slots (or carry xtra gas). In it i keep a couple of allen wrenches, 8mm and 10mm socket screwdriver, a leatherman, slime tire repair, jb weld, small first aid kit, wallet, cell phone, car keys, granola bars, lighter and headlamp. Can't even feel it while riding

I have a 20 1.5 liter camel pack, I put my phone in a plastic bag behind the water pouch, I put a spare spark plug in one of the small pockets and I always have a adjustable wrench and muli tool with a a flat head and philips head zip tied to the frame and a good knife.

in back pack:

bottle of gas

small wrench set

small general tool set up

slime fix a flat bottle

SPARE LEVERS both sides and multiple of each (more than one rider and no lever protection)

trail map (old school no gps for me)

water

energy bar type thing

oh and spark plug

FYI. Slime will not fix pinch flats which most trail flats are.Not punctures. This day in age with everybody having cell phones you would be a fool not to carry it, but I guess it does no good if you only carry a map and couldn't tell rescue where you are anyways.In the mean time you can just leave your buddy on the ground maybe dieing while you go find help and tell them you think he's right over there.Or you go get help and wad up yourself. Of course if you only venture 10 miles away from the truck you might be OK.

I myself will be investing in a Omega flight Jacket to carry the needed and ditch a full pack.

I travel light. Spark plug, wrench, allen wrench set, small T handle (w/ 8,10&12mm), pipe springs, extra fuel line, length of radiator hose, side cutters, pliers and GPS. It all fits in my Camelpack.

I'd rather ride a flat back to the truck than deal with trail side tube swaps, so I leave those and irons at the truck.

Camelbak bookbag: atleast 2 liters of water, tools, camera, maps, zip ties, first aid kit, wallet and insurance info, compass, extra gas, lighter, and kit containing the most commonly used bolts for my bike.

Fanny Pack: 21" tube, 3 tire irons, spark plug wrench, 2-3 spare spark plugs, bicycle hand pump

I travel light. Spark plug, wrench, allen wrench set, small T handle (w/ 8,10&12mm), pipe springs, extra fuel line, length of radiator hose, side cutters, pliers and GPS. It all fits in my Camelpack.

I'd rather ride a flat back to the truck than deal with trail side tube swaps, so I leave those and irons at the truck.

Your lucky to make anything longer than 20 miles on a flat before it peels off the rim unless your riding in sand and thats giving 20 miles the benifit of the doubt.

wow, kind of a sanctimonious ass aren't you?

maybe he rides in sw colorado where they have cactus and stuff that slime could fix, puncture wise. cellphones are spotty at best where i ride, better off with smoke signals. and for those that know how to use a map and compass, triangulate positions and so forth, it's normally plenty. make sure you don't forget to charge the batteries in that cute little device.

Hey Schrode! I don't need somebody quoteing me because it doesn't fit there opinion. It was mine and if you don't like it save it. That better be one bad ass cactus to cause a flat.I was Mearly trying to say That Slime ain't the fix all so if your carrying it around with out a tube or a patch kit you could be SOL! triangulate what? Are you a pirate or something? Have Rescue try to find you with your so called methods. They can Hardly find Gps numbers as it is. The cell phone will most normally work even if you have to leave and find a hill or a better spot to get reception.

This was a thread about what you carry on the trail. I'm under the Assumption safety fits in here and all means to get out of a pinch.

So leave your cell phone at home and bring a match,cuz you will probably be spending the night at one time or another.🙂

Edited by the white stallion

As mentioned above. Always bring the Trusty JB quick. Seen it get a few bikes back to camp from cracked case covers. All so I need to throw some vice grips in the and duct tape in the mix. I seen a bike lose a axle nut last trip. Duct tape and vise grips got it home.🙂 Dont forget the tow strap.

Edited by the white stallion

ok in my defense and schrode i said a fix a flat its a bottle with slime and air in it and will fix most flats at least for a short ride home and where we ride a cell phone is a paper weight and a map is a lot better when riding on a trail system with intersections not a open desert were lost=dead

so yes carry a phone for safety if it works, if a pinch flat cant be fixed anyway why argue about slim and before gps people got arounf the world just fine with a map.

sorry.... i do not mean to attack you personally in any way.

• Like 1

ok in my defense and schrode i said a fix a flat its a bottle with slime and air in it and will fix most flats at least for a short ride home and where we ride a cell phone is a paper weight and a map is a lot better when riding on a trail system with intersections not a open desert were lost=dead

so yes carry a phone for safety if it works, if a pinch flat cant be fixed anyway why argue about slim and before gps people got arounf the world just fine with a map.

sorry.... i do not mean to attack you personally in any way.

You did not attack me personally in anyway so no offense taken.On the other hand Schrode did and went out of his way to do it. You simply posted what you like to carry and left it at that. I don't agree with your take on the GPS or phone thing but that's yours and Schrodes opinion. For one I carry the GPS for emergency reasons only.Someone being hurt and most likely one of my boys or a good friend.I would hope someone who got on a bike in the wilderness would know where they came from and where they are going for the most part.The phone is a xtra precaution and I know they will work at some point before I go 50-60 miles or so back to the truck leaving someone behind. I know at some point your guys would too. Now if someone is only doing a 40 mile loop maybe it's not that nescessary. On another note if one is not compitent enough(not you or schrode personally.anybody in general) to pull one side of a tire off to swap a tube they probably shouldn't be more than 20 miles away from the truck anyway. Agree.🙂

To simply say say that people got around fine and safe before GPS and cell phones around is not a good statement. just saying. We used to get around fine on horse and buggies but we drive cars now. Kinda see where I'm going here..

I have no offense to Schrode either. I was simply defending myself agaisnt lame comments..:banana: Rock on guys and be safe.🤣

Slime is amazing. I've used it and it's fixed flats in bikes and dirt bikes. Freaking works perfectly every time.

One more time. Fix a flat is good to carry. No doubt about it. I would hate to pull a tire when it's hotter than hell outside and the beer is at the truck for a nail or in ones case a Cactus thorn. How ever. It adds weight to a tire and can sometimes make them out of balance. Specially on the front tire. And your rim on the inside next time you go to change a tube or tire will be nasty.. Slime WILL NOT fix a pinch flat. A tear.🤣

small list of things i carry when i trail ride

8 10 12 14 17 22 and 1 1/4 sockets set

8 10 12 14 22 open end box end combinations wrenchs

24" cresent wrench

chain saw with 3' bar

case of beer

2 gallons of oil

dynamite (for the tough trails)

10 gallons of gas

tent

sleeping bag

case of beer