bike getting tired?

how do u all feel on the topic of older bikes...i mean if u race/ride mx, doesnt it take it's toll on the bike...i'm still rocking my 05 yz250, replaced all the chassis bearings, redid the engine, redid the susp. but i still don't get that new/newer feeling out of the bike. is it from constant frame flex? is it just time to get a new bike? any thoughts?

If you have freshened everything up then it is in your head. I bought an 02 YZ125 to use as a practice bike this year, the thing was whipped. I went through the engine, suspension, and all chassis bearings and now it feels just like all of the bikes I have bought new from the dealer. I've been hammering it for a few months now and it still feels fresh. I love the reaction people on new 450's get at the track when they get smoked by an 8 year old 125 🙂

The secret is to replace things as they need replacing. Then the bike never needs the "rebuild" Its easy to buy wheel bearings, but expensive when you need bearings, cables, perch's, tires, chains, sprickets, etc.

My 06 has been ridden on every possible weekend since Ii bought it. Its in much better condition than a new bike, and woudl look fine on a showroom floor.

Its way over maintained, for sure. This never works well for resale as the bike would only new a few hundred extra over a normal bike. However, it does avoid that "I need a new bike" feeling.

The secret is to replace things as they need replacing. Then the bike never needs the "rebuild" Its easy to buy wheel bearings, but expensive when you need bearings, cables, perch's, tires, chains, sprickets, etc.

My 06 has been ridden on every possible weekend since Ii bought it. Its in much better condition than a new bike, and woudl look fine on a showroom floor.

Its way over maintained, for sure. This never works well for resale as the bike would only new a few hundred extra over a normal bike. However, it does avoid that "I need a new bike" feeling.

+1 After I replaced every seal, bushing, bearing, and basically every moving part with a new tight part my 00' 125 was in much better shape then my 08' 250 before I looped the 125 out again and trashed basically everything on it. Takes a ton of work but it's def do-able.

🙂 agreed.

get a new seat! sounds stupid but will make bike feel even closer to new again.

Too funny! And a hundred percent true. Especially when coupled with new, wide footpegs. Plus, EVERY oem Yamaha seat is different in feel. I have four of them, from the 2006-2009 years, and not a one feel the same. My original 06 seat is made from oak covered rocks.

Too funny! And a hundred percent true. Especially when coupled with new, wide footpegs. Plus, EVERY oem Yamaha seat is different in feel. I have four of them, from the 2006-2009 years, and not a one feel the same. My original 06 seat is made from oak covered rocks.

I LOVE the '06 seat if you want to part with it at some point.

I LOVE the '06 seat if you want to part with it at some point.

Oh, I like them both..I have two brand-new, stock 06 seats...both are different. One soft, and one rock hard. I nevr sell them as I end up using them for different conditions, or projects..

...Oh, who am I kidding. Ever see that show "Horders" on the A and E channel?

oh believe me i know it! i ride with an ex-pro privateer...he's in his mid 40's, semi overweight, rides once or twice ever 3 years on a stock 01kx250 and still goes out and can beat most of the experts at open practice.

man, those 2011 ktm 250sx's look so good though...lol

Oh, I like them both..I have two brand-new, stock 06 seats...both are different. One soft, and one rock hard. I nevr sell them as I end up using them for different conditions, or projects..

...Oh, who am I kidding. Ever see that show "Horders" on the A and E channel?

Horders...funny! Question...are both '06 seats you have the same height profile? Somewhere along the line, the YZ seat morphed into a "high" seat.