Helmetcam cheap, 17 $ cheap, very cheap

If anyone is looking for a super cheap helmet cam, these things from ebay are the ticket, they are called MD80, they are knock off's of a more expensive camera, but they upped the specs! Mine is a 720x480 version, they sell for 15 $, mine was 11 $ + 4 $ to ship from china. These are not gopro/vholdr quality, they will suffer from "rolling shutter" as do gopro/vholder, because they are cmos cameras. CCD/lipstick cameras are the only ones that do a full frame image at a time, rather than a scan top to bottom, and wont have any rolling shutter, but those all have a bunch of wires you have to deal with.

I added a "jelly lens" wide angle for the front, basically they are stick on wide angle lenses, they go for a couple bucks on ebay, they can be glued permanently on. This camera has a built in rechargable batter that will record for ~2 hours. For your nefarious needs, it can do sound activated recording, I wont give you any ideas. It'll do about 40 minutes per gig, so a 2 gig card will fill before the battery, they can be sensitive to cards, so you want a class 6 card microSD card. It'll also act as a webcam, I have not tried that yet. There's a bunch of reviews online, because they are super cheap, small and light, they are getting strapped onto all sorts of things, lots of info on them on the RC airplane forums.

This is what you get for 15 $, I put quarters on/around it for scale, sorry my iphone takes horrible pictures

925348515_v2DfZ-L.jpg

925348538_WyLYL-L.jpg

925348565_gfnWw-L.jpg

Sample video of with and without the jelly lens, you can tell it makes the view quite a bit wider. I will try to get some helmetcam footage this week to test out the video and sound. The sound will pick up wind, so I'll probably have to use some black or friction tape over the microphone hole. There's lots of videos on youtube from these things already.

• Like 7
  • Angry 3

I bought this auction 280525226877

I won & paid for it on june 23rd, and it arrived today, I buy lots of stuff from china, and typically it takes 10 days if there's no holidays in there

How does it connect to the helmet? 3M tape? I can't see anything in the picture that would connect it to a helmet...๐Ÿ™‚

And could you possibly link me to the one you bought? The ones I'm finding don't come with the wall adapter, which is the only way to fully charge ther battery according to them. They all sell em seperately...

We have two of them. For the price, it's seriously hard to beat. Video quality for such a cheap item is very impressive too! I'm gonna have to check out that jelly lense, definitely seems to help.

The footage should be better than what you see on Youtube. All the vids I watched on there using this camera are at best 480 and they still look pretty good. They seem to have pretty good light transition but really noisy or nearly nonexistant audio. Another note, remember, these are not waterproof!

Now, I'm ready for it to get here! ๐Ÿ™‚

I'm gonna try this for sure. But you guys that are buying the ones that are like $12, know that they don't come with the memory card things, right? It seems like to buy the ones that come with a memory card are like $20-23.