ktm 525 exc. electrical confusion

i just bought an 04 525 exc. e start wont work. i charged the battery and it will crank a few times and stop. like the battery is dead. but its brand new. so im thinking i need to clean the starter motor? my other question is does the bike charge the battery? i understand its an ac stator and dc battery but im not sure how it all works. when the bike is running how many volts should the stator be putting out? im just tired of kicking this thing when i only weigh 150. lol.

the other thing is the headlight has been disconnected and switch has been removed and the white and yellow wire from the stator are looped together. i dont know why they did this. any help would be awesome. sorry for so many questions just tired of rackin my brain. thanks.

I suggets that you

a) try jump starting your bike with cables attached to a running autocar battery, if it starts, then your battery or charging system is at fault. If it doesn't start, then the fault may not be with your battery

🙂 charge up your battery for 24 hours then attempt an electric start on your engine ( which you could pre-warm by going for a ride ). If it starts, then your starter gear etc. are fine and your battery may be fine

c) charge up battery and take voltage reading ( ? = approx 12 volts ), put battery back in bike, start up by kick, rev it a bit and watch for an increase in the voltage to approx 14.6. If there is a voltage increase, your charging system is fine and ( if the bike refuses to start on a cold morning ) the fault lies with your battery. If there is no increase, then obviously it's with the charging system.

Let us know how you get on.

Edited by dudenstumpy

Get a manual with wiring diagrams. EXC's have both ac and dc systems, ac only powers headlight and only works when bike is running. DC only charges battery. So it has two one phase charging circuits which of only one is used for charging. To boost charging those two could be wired together somehow.

You can find a repair manual (covers up to 03, but there aren't many, if any, differences) easily for free, just google for 525 repair manual for example, it has all the wiring diagrams.

got the bike started with battery fully charged, voltage on battery doesnt change when i rev it. so its not charging. i tested the stator and at an idle its putting out 16 volts. maybe the regulator is bad and not producing any dc power to charge the battery? im just not sure how these systems work. i dont want to have to charge the battery all the time. should i do the trail tech dc system conversion?

My '04 525EXC just stopped charging also.....watching this thread for someone real smart who's gonna help out.

I think that I am in the same boat!!! My battery went dead for the first time this weekend......I have a 2005 525mxc. I posted a thread in KTMTALK (iamovru) under electrical and they are trying to figure it out over there.

problem solved. i bit the bullet and bought the trailtech stator/dc conversion kit. it was super easy to install. now i have 14.+ volts at the battery all the time. no more dead battery for me. i highly recommend this.

As my bike is closer to a new owner than it's ever been, I am electing to spend the least amount of $$$$. Due to the blown headlight suffered as soon as I turned it on, I feel confident that the regulator/rectifier has failed. A new one is on order and I'll see if it doesn't solve both problems, will report back next week.