quad or bike?

DONT GET A QUAD! It would depend on your riding ability? I went from an Xr250 to a crf450r and wont look back. Lighter/Awsome power/More fun etc. I ride tight single track and open off road etc

DO NOT. I repeat, DO NOT get a quad.

Please, stick with what you already know, and stay on a bike. How much seat time do you have on the XR? The XR your first bike?

If the XR was your first bike, the jump from that to a 450 will intimidate/scare you. Even the jump from and XR to a CRF250 is quite noticeable since they are completely different bikes. I would choose the CRF250 if you havent been on one for any length of time.

Also, why not go with a 2t? I would look at the 98 and up CR125's and 250's. They are just as capable as the 250 and 450 4t's, but quite a bit cheaper to maintain, and a heck of a lot more fun to ride.

FWIW I learned on a 2002 YZ250F and just recently converted to a race prepped YZ125.

There are many pros to having a bike over a quad. Bikes are faster. Tires cost more for a quad. If you flip the quad you have a better chance of being hit/pinned by it. On a bike you just jump out the way. Maintenance is about the same. Bikes can go many places quads won't fit. And, bikes are usually cheaper to buy. I use to have a rincon 680cc quad, it was fun b/c you could carry stuff around and sometimes a passenger if you had to. But, there is no comparison to a the 450r I have now. No comparison.

Yep all good advice! Check out this vid if you are still considering a quad! Its a freind of mine and luckily the rd was close because it was a right off and not ridable.

My vid buy the way.

Yep all good advice! Check out this vid if you are still considering a quad! Its a freind of mine and luckily the rd was close because it was a right off and not ridable.

My vid buy the way.

Hoooly crap. How much did that end up costing? What was damaged?? I'm so surprised that thing wasn't damaged beyond repair. You did like the equivilant of dropping it off a cliff...twice. Lol. If I was the quad rider in that situation, my heart would sink so far down the first time, and the second time, I would think something like "OK I guess I'm out of this hobby..."

Lol.

That was messssed up!

The ONLY advantage you will find in buying a quad is the money you will save on NOT having to buy any sort of protective gear or helmet (since you won't be wearing any in order to fit in with the quad crowd).

On the other hand, one disadvantage... its going to cost you a lot more to ride as you will need to keep the cooler on the back stocked with beer.

In all seriousness ... get the bike. Don't limit yourself with a quad unless your only planning on riding in dunes.

This was my last quad, and I mean last qaud:bonk:!

100_1251.jpg

$11,000 plus invested in it, and I haven't missed it for even 1 minute since I bought a bike:moon:. I can do more things, go more places, fix it for less, go faster, and not get the shiznet kicked out of me so badly. My only regret was that I didn't buy a bike sooner:worthy:.

This was my last quad, and I mean last qaud:bonk:!

100_1251.jpg

$11,000 plus invested in it, and I haven't missed it for even 1 minute since I bought a bike:moon:. I can do more things, go more places, fix it for less, go faster, and not get the shiznet kicked out of me so badly. My only regret was that I didn't buy a bike sooner:worthy:.

This is a nice quad ... **for a quad that is 🙂

Gotta ask it ... when you rode the quad, did you wear a helmet?? :banana:🤣

This is a nice quad ... **for a quad that is 🙂

Gotta ask it ... when you rode the quad, did you wear a helmet??🤣:lol:

Today I actually saw a guy riding a quad on a public highway with no helmet on, no shirt, no gloves, no boots--and he was wearing jeans. I would estimate his speed at approximately 55-60 m.p.h. I'm sure that felt like a very stable ride. :banana:

I went the other way , just for a change , I went from XR650R racing Baja in 30+ pro to 1988 250R 2 smoke ATV Expert champion AZ grinding stone GP series and now I'm racing the full season for BITD ATV Expert class, but my roots are bike 2 wheels, it started as a bet with some buddies , that I told them any bike rider has the potential to ride a Quad but not every Quad rider can ride a bike and I have been hooked for a while, but now I have been obsessed with my hybrid quad /bike a 1988 Honda fat cat the true all terrain cycle (ATC) I ride it every where , dunes ,camping , prerunning Baja , to work

I love it

Come on, are we 15 again? Hating someone for what they ride is really low.. Hopefully you can drag down quad riders to your level and beat them with your stupidity 🙂

I don't even ride a quad, owned a quad for 6 months like 5-6 years ago, but still, I don't dislike a rider simply because they ride another vehicle that some give bad names for.

Sadly in my area I see more biketards then quad tards by FAR lol, probably 50% of the bikes I see on trails aren't wearing helmets, probably 90% of the quads are :banana:

And sadly, out of all the people riding bikes without helmets, probably half are wearing full riding gear minus the helmet (which is back asswords if you ask me), and the other half are wearing something along the lines of tennishoes/shorts/sometimes no shirt..

Sadly in my area I see more biketards then quad tards by FAR lol, probably 50% of the bikes I see on trails aren't wearing helmets, probably 90% of the quads are🤣

And sadly, out of all the people riding bikes without helmets, probably half are wearing full riding gear minus the helmet (which is back asswords if you ask me), and the other half are wearing something along the lines of tennishoes/shorts/sometimes no shirt..

Very interesting.🙂 I have only come across ONE person on a bike without a helmet in all my years of off-road riding. It was on a Chinese bike, so that "kind of" explained it.:bonk:

I RARELY see a quader with a helmet. Seriously ... it is VERY RARE. I would say one of of every 10 would be close. My wife is a nurse at EASILY 95% of injuries are quad riders with no protective gear. And what ticks me off most is they are "categorized" as hurt on an ORV ... there is no classification distinction between quad and bike.

Riders who will not wear protective gear (quad or bikes) give the whole ORV section a bad name. *** IT HAS NOTHING TO DO with what type of ORV you "own" its the lack of proper safety equipment that "seems" to go hand in hand with quad riders. The same could be said (and has) about bikers ... although I rarely see it.

Secondly ... if you go to ANY quad website, there is RARELY a mandate to wear protective gear. *** AND if there is, they don't practice it. Want PROOF ??? ... go to the link at the bottom. I just want to see for once, a quader advocating to wear a helmet and ACTUALLY WEAR IT... rather than always hearing about why they don't wear one. Hence where the name quad-tard (and bike-tard) comes from. 😛

Not sure where you live that its the opposite, but I suppose anything could be possible??? Bottom line ... I understand hunters and farmers not wearing a helmet, I really do ... but anybody recreational riding should have a lid on. On the other hand, if you really need to tell people that, perhaps they really don't need a helmet🤣.

If I were riding the DUNES, I would love to own a quad like the one pictured above (and YES would wear protective gear). They are slugs in the woods, but on the sand would be a blast.

Get the one that requires some level of skill to ride. :banana: Do a search for "quadtard" and you will get over 400 hits. I think quaders wearing helmets is an exception rather than the rule.

Go HERE: http://sandhillatv.com/photos.html

take a look at the pics ... how many are wearing helmets?? What is even funnier is in the "rules" section they claim helmets are mandatory .... yet look at the published pictures. So what is wrong with this ?? Its easy to advocate ... its another to actually DO IT.

.... I am done ranting about tards (bike or quad)🤣 I doubt my rants are going to change anything ... either way.... no more🤣

Edited by supervokes

My vid buy the way.

This is why I call them retard chariots 🙂😏:banana:

lol, I'll have to admit that I fall under a quadtard at times too... but, but... I had to work on my tan:smirk:

30068_434299245831_505200831_5675422_2368583_n.jpg

When our local offroad club throws their big jamboree, I'd say 90% of the quad riders don't wear helmets. They require them to compete in anything and then the riders just ditch them.

I'd say bike. I love my quad, but I've been trying to trade it for a bike since November. It tells me something when everyone with a bike doesn't want to trade me, ha ha.