another valve check question

I adjusted my valves at about 800 miles. I found that that they were out of spec, and put them back into spec. After I adjusted them they were pretty quiet, and all seemed pretty good. Recenlty the valves have gotten pretty noisy all of a sudden. Not overly loud (I dont think), but very noticeable.

My question is this. When I opened the covers and checked the clearances I noticed that the rocker arms wiggled up and down. They were slightly loose. When I put the feeler gauge into the gap I could feel them move. I can wiggle them up and down, and side to side. They don't move very far, just wiggle a bit. Is this normal? I don't remember them doing it before and it is making it hard to be sure about the gap.

Is the bolt that holds the rockers in place a bit loose maybe? It looks like I'd have to take a top cover off to check it, and I don't want to mess with the gasket if I don't have to.

Thanks in advance

There should be a drag on the feeler gauge when you draw it though the adjustment gap. In other words there should be no up and down movement of the rocker arms with the correct gauge in place. Side to side is normal but with the feeler in position with some tension from the adjuster on one side and the valve stem on the other there won't be any side play either... well, not any play that you wouldn't have to push quite hard on the side of the rocker to feel anyway.

+1 on Mx-Robs advice. The bolt on the outside of the valve cover only holds the rocker arm shaft in place in the valve cover. It doesn't tighten the rocker arm itself to the shaft. I know i'm not explaining this very well, perhaps someone a bit more articulate could give it a shot.

+1 on Mx-Robs advice. The bolt on the outside of the valve cover only holds the rocker arm shaft in place in the valve cover. It doesn't tighten the rocker arm itself to the shaft. I know i'm not explaining this very well, perhaps someone a bit more articulate could give it a shot.

No worries. I looked more closely at how it's all put together and it makes perfect sense. I think I got it squared away. One side is looser side to side than the other though. I wonder if thats an issue. Its not sloppy or anything so I wont worry about it.

Thanks guys