How do you know when you have 1300RPM's

yep it's a pretty slow turnover. i only dial it that low when trying to get the screw set. i run a pretty high idle when riding to help prevent stalls and such

My XR650R has a rather low idle when stone cold in the mornings so to compensate i hold the throttle slighty on for a minute or so to warm up then it tonkers very nicely.

When hot and warm the idle is just right and sounds very nice too ๐Ÿ™‚

yep it's a pretty slow turnover. i only dial it that low when trying to get the screw set. i run a pretty high idle when riding to help prevent stalls and such

You're just reading it too slow. ๐Ÿ™‚

Just about any cheap inductive type tach will work. You just clamp a lead around the plug wire. Some inexpensive multi-meters have a tach function. A multi-meter is usefull for a lot of other things and you will get a lot of use from one, not just the tach function.

To put the "by ear" thing in perspective; would you want a dealership working on your bike to just do things by ear? If not, don't accept anything less of your work.

Just about any cheap inductive type tach will work. You just clamp a lead around the plug wire. Some inexpensive multi-meters have a tach function. A multi-meter is usefull for a lot of other things and you will get a lot of use from one, not just the tach function.

To put the "by ear" thing in perspective; would you want a dealership working on your bike to just do things by ear? If not, don't accept anything less of your work.

Great advice, thank you very much. Harbor freight $36 now I don't have to guess.๐Ÿ™‚