Torn ACL and both Meniscus

I finally heard back from the dr. who ordered the MRI that I have a torn ACL and both Meniscus in my left knee are torn. He didn't have the report in front of him so he couldn't give specifics about the types of tears in the meniscus. My knee has been locking though over the past couple weeks since the injury which he said was consistent with the Meniscus tears. I'm working on getting a copy of the MRI images and report, and i plan on sending them over to Dr. Mark for review. I'm very seriously considering flying to Texas to have the surgery done, but I'd like to have some input on prehab. Also, those of you that have done the fly-in surgery, I'd like some idea what was involved. I don't know that I could bring family with me and I would need some idea what length of stay would be required.

I am going through the same thing. complete tearing of the ACL and complex tear of the posterior horn of the medial meniscus. I have been in contact with Dr. Mark and he has been great. I have also spoken to Norma at his office. She is working on my insurance info. I spoke to her today and she told me that I would fly in on a Wed., surgery Thurs, start rehab fri, and leave after visit on Mon. The hotel stay and flights are on my dime. My wife can't go with me either and i am not sure I can afford the stay, but i am hoping to work it out.

Dr. Mark has assured me that he would have me back on the ice, skating in 3 months in time for the start of Hockey season. My local ortho, who I saw today, said 6 months. Thats a huge difference to me.

Wow, that's rather ironic. I coach youth hockey and the timing is almost the same on my end! When you contacted them, did they need info like mri results and what not at first? Or just insurance and contact stuff?

The best prehab is the stationary bike one hour per day, every day, getting your heart rate to the target heart rate for your age. The knee will take care of itself with this plan.

The anticipated time in TExas as 4-5 days based on whether there is a weekend intviening weekend. Guys walk into the hospital like normal men, and walk out the same way. After two days with Ed, you can do the exercises on your own and don't need formal PT.

May sound stupid Dr Mark, but do you recommend a stationary bike because it's safer than a regular bike for pre-hab? I’ll be in SoCal from now until mid August with not much to do but ride and workout.

I’m scheduled for an ACL reconstruct on Aug 23rd in Arizona by a doc that has already fixed my other knee with pretty much the exact techniques and philosophy as you.

Sorry for the hi-jack guys, good luck with your knees.

Wow, that's rather ironic. I coach youth hockey and the timing is almost the same on my end! When you contacted them, did they need info like mri results and what not at first? Or just insurance and contact stuff?

I emailed a few of my MRI pics to Dr. Mark. He called me soon after to let me know that I did have a torn ACL. I just received the offical MRI report yesterday when I went to see the local Ortho surgeon and emailed that to Dr. Mark as well. I also emailed Norma all my insurance information. She called me yesterday to go over a few details. Everyone has been great to deal with.

I coach Mites level and we start right around the end of Oct/early Nov.

I finally heard back from the dr. who ordered the MRI that I have a torn ACL and both Meniscus in my left knee are torn. He didn't have the report in front of him so he couldn't give specifics about the types of tears in the meniscus. My knee has been locking though over the past couple weeks since the injury which he said was consistent with the Meniscus tears. I'm working on getting a copy of the MRI images and report, and i plan on sending them over to Dr. Mark for review. I'm very seriously considering flying to Texas to have the surgery done, but I'd like to have some input on prehab. Also, those of you that have done the fly-in surgery, I'd like some idea what was involved. I don't know that I could bring family with me and I would need some idea what length of stay would be required.

I made the trip from Jersey by myself and do not regret it. I stayed in Houston for a week, could've gone home sooner but I wasn't in a rush. The good doc took good care of me.

I'll tell you one thing though, the flight back was HELL. Sitting in the plane motionless without painkillers was torture, couldn't stretch my legs or nothing ? Damn economy class seats

When I flew back, I reserved a bulkhead seat, then wheelchaired up to the gate and looked for a flight attendant. I asked her to fill up my Cryocuff jug and she took a look at my bloody white stockings, and moved me to first class where she could take good care of me!

Its way better to use miles to upgrade to first class on the trip back.

Romster, you forget to tell everyone about driving the Turbo.

Oh yea, there I was, 4th day after surgery, driving myself back to the hotel in Dr. Mark's Porsche. I was a happy camper that day ?

By the way this Sunday I went riding for the first time. Felt awesome, was comfortable on the bike within a few laps. ?