Enduro Race?

So lately i've gotten the urge to race but i only own a DRZ and obviously motocross is out of the question. I thought about a hare scramble but i think my DRZ is probably not the greatest choice. So that brings me to thinking about doing an Enduro on my Suzi.

I think an endro wouldn't be too crazy to try on a DRZ, but then again i have no idea what is all involved in racing an enduro.

has anyone tried this on their DRZ?

how did it go?

am i out of my mind?

I have done a number of roll chart style enduros the bike works great,maybe a touch on the heavy side for some of the tight a-main stuff but I do it and I would say I'm a good rider,but far from great ,so I'd say get a roll chart holder and prepare to have a ball.Ed

While it is directions,it's not like using map quest .sometimes there is backtracting to do (like two weeks ago) Alot of these use the 2x2 start which is two bikes every 2 min. then you have to get two check points ON TIME early or late you lose points. If you hour out (meaning you are an hour late to a check point your DQed )The one two weeks ago was a dual sport run as forest service roads were used for some of it . they really are a ball ,oh and the roll chart holder is a little box with rollers to advance the adding machine size paper directions along Ed

So lately i've gotten the urge to race but i only own a DRZ and obviously motocross is out of the question. I thought about a hare scramble but i think my DRZ is probably not the greatest choice. So that brings me to thinking about doing an Enduro on my Suzi.

I think an endro wouldn't be too crazy to try on a DRZ, but then again i have no idea what is all involved in racing an enduro.

has anyone tried this on their DRZ?

how did it go?

am i out of my mind?

I do some 3 hour enduro's here iin the uk , ive got a much tinkered with 436 S model can be a bit heavy towards the end but bomb proof and bits wont break , go on you know you want to ๐Ÿ™‚

As long as you have good tires go for it. Don't try to run it on DOT knobbies, you will not have much fun. Out here (Michigan) they have family enduros. A regular enduro you have to try to maintain exactly 24 MPH, it can be tough in tight woods. A family enduro you have to average 12 MPH. Maybe run a family enduro to see if you like it then run a regular enduro.

BTW those numbers are just standard, some enduros have different averages and different rules. Check your local AMA District they will have all the information you need about racing enduros in your area.

You can probably get more information about racing locally if you post in the regional section.

As long as you have good tires go for it. Don't try to run it on DOT knobbies, you will not have much fun. Out here (Michigan) they have family enduros. A regular enduro you have to try to maintain exactly 24 MPH, it can be tough in tight woods. A family enduro you have to average 12 MPH. Maybe run a family enduro to see if you like it then run a regular enduro.

BTW those numbers are just standard, some enduros have different averages and different rules. Check your local AMA District they will have all the information you need about racing enduros in your area.

You can probably get more information about racing locally if you post in the regional section.

I run kenda trackmaster II's (DOT legal) and my good friend runs pirelli scorpions (off road only) and i have never had a problem riding anywhere that he goes wether it be mud, sand, dirt, woods, and of course road. in fact i get better traction in sand then he does. everywhere else we're about the same as far as we can tell. we sometimes switch bikes to see how the "other guy's rides" and after riding mine he is thinking about getting the kendas too.

is there some other reason that i'm missing as to why i would need different tires???

I run kenda trackmaster II's (DOT legal) and my good friend runs pirelli scorpions (off road only) and i have never had a problem riding anywhere that he goes wether it be mud, sand, dirt, woods, and of course road. in fact i get better traction in sand then he does. everywhere else we're about the same as far as we can tell. we sometimes switch bikes to see how the "other guy's rides" and after riding mine he is thinking about getting the kendas too.

is there some other reason that i'm missing as to why i would need different tires???

As long as you are comfortable with the tire you should be fine. DOT knobbies were basically created in Europe to minimize environmental impact of the tires. They do not tear up the trails as much as an off road tire. They typically do not have the traction of a pure off road knobby tire.

Trakmasters are about the most aggressive DOT knobbies around. They do do well offroad but something like a dunlop MX51 would be better.

Bottom line: you will do fine on the trakmasters especially if they are fresh (not many road miles) and you are used to trail riding on them. Some Enduro terrain can be very challenging and you might want something a little more aggressive.

Since this will be your first enduro dont worry about the time keeping aspect. Just ride it and have fun. You will more than likely be on a minute or row with 3 to 4 other riders and usually someone on your row will know how to keep time. Just ride the event, dont pass the fastest guy on your row, assuming you are not the fastest, or you could burn a check. Its always better to come in late to a check than early. 2 points for the first minute early and 5 for each additional minute. 1 point for every minute late. Ive ridden my DRZS in a few enduros just to see how good or bad it was and it was pretty good. I normally race a KX250 in enduros.

I want to know more... I really want to start racing something, and since all I have right now is my DRZ400, that is what I will have to use for now.

Enduros and roll chart type races sound like a good entry point. If I really enjoy it then I can look at buying another bike, but so far I have enjoyed my DRZ.

I need to race.....๐Ÿ™‚ Really I do...

Any races in WV that I should know about. I have not been able to find much happening here or around the Monongahela where I live.

Thanks

Greebe

I want to know more... I really want to start racing something, and since all I have right now is my DRZ400, that is what I will have to use for now.

Enduros and roll chart type races sound like a good entry point. If I really enjoy it then I can look at buying another bike, but so far I have enjoyed my DRZ.

Any races in WV that I should know about. I have not been able to find much happening here or around the Monongahela where I live.

Thanks

Greebe

someone suggested that i post something in my regional forum here on TT to find info on local races, i did and got a response with all the info i needed within a couple hours. i would suggest the same to you, it worked very well to find local races.

As long as you are comfortable with the tire you should be fine. DOT knobbies were basically created in Europe to minimize environmental impact of the tires. They do not tear up the trails as much as an off road tire. They typically do not have the traction of a pure off road knobby tire.

Trakmasters are about the most aggressive DOT knobbies around. They do do well offroad but something like a dunlop MX51 would be better.

Bottom line: you will do fine on the trakmasters especially if they are fresh (not many road miles) and you are used to trail riding on them. Some Enduro terrain can be very challenging and you might want something a little more aggressive.

I race a 400E model against a sea of mostly orange. Most of the enduro races here in Ontario are tight single track for hours, it is important that the bike turns well.

Get rid of the Trackmasters, they cause the bike to handle weird because of the square profile.

Set the sag correctly on the back. Slide the forks up in the triple clamps to lower the front slightly. I found 10mm works the best, makes the bike turn faster. Any more makes it twitchy. Also firm up the compression and rebound to help with any whooped out areas.

I have a Recluze clutch and a left-hand rear brake. It is like cheating.

Ride what you got!

Warning: Enduros can be very addictive, race with caution ๐Ÿ™‚

Thanks

Greebe

Ive noticed that there arent any enduros in WV. Seem to be plenty of harescrambles though. There are plenty of enduros in Pa. They are in Shippensburg, Blain, Reading, Brandonville, Fasset, to name a few. Check out www.ecea.org for the complete schedule. Probably a bit of a drive for you though. You and your bike have to be legal for most of the enduros. The one in Blain is a closed road enduro meaning that you and your bike dont need to be legal.

I raced my first enduro with my DRZ last year. 45 Years old, no MX background.

I had great fun and could stay in my minute. I sucked on the special tests but also didn't want to break something.

I am now practicing on my special test 'competences'.

Reading your questions I would say go for it!๐Ÿ™‚