450 exc road miles?

Just as the poast reads. How many of you ride youre bike on the road? Anyone comute with it? I am taking delivery of an 07 and though I know it is mainly a "dirtbike" I would like to get some road miles out of it. My work is only seven miles away mainly side roads. This proboly would be the extent of driving it around towne. Also, the closest dealer is 37 miles away and mainly all highway with a 65 MPH speed limit. With stock gearing would the bike be ok to ride there or would you trailer it? I would think that doing 55 - 60 in sixth gear would not be a big deal, though I am not positive. I would like the dealer to check the vaves for the first time and then I would learn and do it from there. Any opinions would be greatly appreciated!

Your fine!! I have 09 450 exc. I ride it back and fourth everyday to work at 75 to 80mph,the only thing is you may get some bad wopples at that speed if you dont have your wheels balanced but i ride it 20miles round trip monday thru friday and then go out play with it on the weekends. But stock is geared to high so i went to a 14/49 sprocket and a d.i.d 120 o-ring cut two links off and the bike is great. Also did the j.d. Jet kit

The 07 450EXC is street legal BUT it really is a dirt bike (i.e. majority of time on it should be in the dirt) it's nice to drive from home to trails and back... or nice to pop out of a trail drive down road to a gas station and then back to trails...

If you want to use the EXC to "dual sport" on the street... note;

- the stock seat is very hard (your butt will go knumb sitting on it after ten minutes).

Suggest an aftermarket seat... like Enduro Engineering tall soft - very comfortable seat.

- the RFS engine can overheat easily when going slow or stopped (hot weather, waiting at red lights, traffic jambs, etc.). Should shut it off when stopped for more than 10 seconds.

Suggest adding an electric cooling fan or a "catch can" to contain rad fluid when it overheats.

Tuning carb (eg. JD jet kit) and opening up the exhaust will help RFS run a bit cooler.

Change oil/filters every 15 hours and make sure the air filter is clean and properly oiled.

You should learn to check and adjust the valves (lot's of "how to" advice here & KTMtalk)... It's not that hard to at least check the valve clearance... usually just the intake valves need to be adjusted after 30 or 40 hours.

Suggest 14 tooth front and 48 rear for dual sport (I use 14 x 52 majority dirt riding).

Good Luck!

Thanks for all of youre input guys. Good info to have for sure. If I do street ride shouldnt I keep the stock gearing or would you still change it a little bit? With the road riding you do, how often are you changing youre oil? Thanks for all of the help:thumbsup:

you can go with the 14/48 or 14/49 and be GREAT on the dirt or road!!!!! and the seat i wouldnt change or buy a new one. your ass is going to fall asleep anyways or get monkey butt no matter what seat you go with. spend your money on tires or bigger gas tank etc. also change your oil etc. as Canadian K said. "EH"

Edited by mjones83

++ On previous replies. Here are a few personal "refinements":

-If you decide to let the dealer do your 1st valve adjustment, trailer the bike there. Engine should be stone cold to adjust the valves. If you ride the bike to the dealer, you'll need to plan for a long wait for the engine to cool down to stone cold.

-If you're running tires with "aggressive" (dirt worthy) knobs, they'll wear pretty quickly on the pavement.

Just my 2 cents.

I sometimes ride mine (08 450 EXCR) to work 30km each way, mostly rushour traffic with a little stop and go and some cruising in between. Rarely go over 80km/h and if i do its not very long. Bike works great, i've got the 14/48 gearing. JD kit is done, desmogged, have a fan kit and it doesn't come on much if at all. Engine Ice and water wetter as well.

Then I can go rip it up really good in the dirt! The gearing is a little tall but by no means bad for the dirt.

As stated though....the road will chew up knobbies fairly quickly. I had dunlop 606's on my previous bike that did really well on both, and will go to that after the stockers are done.

Love this bike!!!

one other potential issue is the coutershaft wear when these bikes are dualsported or used for excessive slab riding...they really are a street legal dirt bike🤣

these bikes do not have a cush hub which isolates the drivetrain for slab riding and if u trash the countershaft splines the cases will need to be split to replace it...

BUT there are several things to minimise this issue...

...stick w/ knobbies since they can flex providing sum isolation VS a sticky street tire

...keep ur chain properly adjusted, loose is gud 🙂

...and sum waterproof grease on the splines probably doesn't hurt.

a more expensive option wud be installing a cush hub setup.

:banana:

P.S. my understanding is the 08 and newer bikes have an isolation/damper on the clutch but i don't really know too much about it or if it helps the countershaft issue.

The valves on that bike are really easy to check and hardly ever need adjustment, so I wouldn't pay the dealer very much to check them. Even if they need adjustment, which is rare (mine still haven't moved in ~150 hours), the job is well within the abilities of even an average home mechanic.

The valves on that bike are really easy to check and hardly ever need adjustment, so I wouldn't pay the dealer very much to check them. Even if they need adjustment, which is rare (mine still haven't moved in ~150 hours), the job is well within the abilities of even an average home mechanic.

I agree, except that the RFS engines require more frequent valve checks and adjustments than the '08 and later engines.

You guys are great with all of the help and info. I did not know that about the valves being totoly cold. You are right, I would have waited forever. I will stick with the knobbies to help ease the strain of road use. Ill make sure I am not realy over reving it on the road either. I did find out that my valves are harder to get to but easier to adjust. With mine being an 07, how often do most of you guys check youre valves? If the bike is not being reved hard or a lot I would think it would last longer and stay in spec? Again thanks for the help and please keep any advice coming:thumbsup:

No Kidding, thats something. Are you checking the valves and they are staying in spec or are you not checking because of the low revs and the bike feels strong? Are you still with the stock gearing of 15 - 45?

07 450EXC 2800 miles valves have never been touched: I'm a low rpm guy.

Have the valve clearances ever been checked?? 2800 miles before checking clearances is way too long. The standard 'rule of thumb' for RFS engines is to check/adjust valves every 30 hrs (30 hrs max) of running time. The stock RFS intake valves are notorious for tightening up fairly quickly and eventually will require stainless steel valve replacements when the stock valves run out of adjustment.

Hey johnd1921,

How many hours on your 07 EXC? The valves seat and require less adjustment after break in.

I have an 07 450EXC and I have had to adjust the intake valves three times since new (at 15 hours, 50 and 100). The exhaust valves haven't moved yet. Note: if your bike gets harder to start, that can be an indicator that it is time to adjust the valves.

FYI - I ride 95% in the dirt but I am not racing it or revving it too high, too often.

My gearing is 14x52 and it will still do 70 mph in 6th at reasonably low rpm.

You will get familiar with your bike by doing routine valve checks and maintenance... and it gets easier as you go... have fun!

That is good to hear. I have 180 miles and 6 hours on the bike. I take delivery in 3 - 7 days depending on traffic with the shipper. I am going to have the dealer go over it once and then do it myself and learn as I go. Good advice on the valves and starting it, I did not know that. Actually, looking at youre hours and valve checks do you think I should have it checked now with only 8 hours on it or would you guys put some more ime on it? Previouse owner states that it has been mainly road and not dirt time.

Thanks for all the help!