clutch cover

i have now cracked my magnesium clutch cover twice. i don't even remember how it happened this last time. no crash or memerable impacts. this is caused by the brake lever being pushed into the cover. i have heard of this problem with other x riders. any ideas on how to prevent this from happening?

i have now cracked my magnesium clutch cover twice. i don't even remember how it happened this last time. no crash or memerable impacts. this is caused by the brake lever being pushed into the cover. i have heard of this problem with other x riders. any ideas on how to prevent this from happening?

Read the stickys at the top of the forum or do a search for more info.

What many do, some or all:

- grind off teeth on pedal closest to cover

- wrap edge with a scrap piece of tire sidewall using safety wire

- glue on a section of stainless steel, or thick abs sheet to clutch cover

- get a Hinson clutch cover

Even with the SFB ( my fav) you need to lower the brake pedal as far as you can. I think the rubber on the tip idea is great but still have yet to apply it to my bike.

I have caved in my SFB even with the lowerd brake lever, luckily all I had to do to fix it was clearance it on the inside when I got home, the basket was rubbing, not enough to cause a problem but it was noisy on the way home.

Read the stickys at the top of the forum or do a search for more info.

What many do, some or all:

- grind off teeth on pedal closest to cover

- wrap edge with a scrap piece of tire sidewall using safety wire

- glue on a section of stainless steel, or thick abs sheet to clutch cover

- get a Hinson clutch cover

I’ve done the first three. It still shatters when crashing in rocks.

IMG_3823.jpg

In the end you are better off getting a thicker aluminum one.

Whatever you do for an aftermarket, do yourself a favor and dont waste your $80 on a Boyesen cover. They are crappy cast aluminum and the stud holes crack as soon as the thing gets put on. Id show you a picture but I would be wasting precious MB on my camera on that crap cover.

Make sure the one you buy is billet aluminum.

Not happy with my Pro Circuit Billet clutch cover. It spits out O-rings no matter how carefully you mount the cover. The groove for the O-ring does not match the sealing surface on the crankcase cover at the bumpouts at 2 and 7 o'clock. I have put the O-rings on dry, with grease, with glue all to no avail. I position the cover to get the best seal but after about 100 miles of riding I see a portion of the O-ring sticking out, touch it and it falls off because it has been cut. I have installed and removed the cover a few times, inspecting the o-ring each time and I am not damaging the o-ring on install, run the bike for a few hours and the o-ring fails.

Anyone else having this problem?

Not happy with my Pro Circuit Billet clutch cover. It spits out O-rings no matter how carefully you mount the cover. The groove for the O-ring does not match the sealing surface on the crankcase cover at the bumpouts at 2 and 7 o'clock. I have put the O-rings on dry, with grease, with glue all to no avail. I position the cover to get the best seal but after about 100 miles of riding I see a portion of the O-ring sticking out, touch it and it falls off because it has been cut. I have installed and removed the cover a few times, inspecting the o-ring each time and I am not damaging the o-ring on install, run the bike for a few hours and the o-ring fails.

Not a problem on my PC in 2 years. It's been beaten half to death but is still holding up pretty nicely. Is it possible you have the wrong cover?

No problems on our two 450X's. We have had Hinson, Boyesen and Rekluse covers. What I would do, get new OEM O-ring and put it in freezer with the clutch cover. O-ring stays in the cover pretty good with this method for installation.

i have been running the pc for around 2 years, the o ring was a pain to get in the groove as it was with the sfb as well, but no problems with the o ring coming out once its in good. maybe you should contact pc about this problem and see if they can help.