Oil puddle under oil tank

I have a 07 YZ250F, and the bike has been nothing but loads of fun with next to no problems.

I put a brand new oil tank on it, the old one had a small crack in it. When I put a brand new oil tank in it, I did a oil change complete with a new oil filter from Scotts (the reusable kind). I went riding the next day, and no problems. I checked every day up till today and no puddles underneath the bike. But when I checked today, there was a small puddle of oil underneath the bike. So I removed the guard from underneath the bike, that had a small amount of oil on it. I looked over the oil tank, and couldn't see a trace of where the oil was coming from.

Any ideas on this phantom oil puddle? Was it a case of adding to much oil? But if that was the case, why now with the puddle?

I checked the bike this morning, and there was a little puddle underneath the bike again. I looked under with a flashlight, and seen oil dripping from the drain plug. It could of been leaking somewhere else, but I was in a rush to get to work so I didn't have time to investigate it further.

Is there a washer for the drain plug? Any sources I look at don't mention one, including the owners manual. It could be possible that I put the wrong plug in, since I had lots of parts when I got the new oil tank and haven't put it in over a month. So I forgot where some thing went.

What I am going to try is taking the drain plug off the old oil tank, since I had no problems with that one.

Any other recommendations?

There was oil that ran down the side of the case, bit I cleaned that thoroughly.

It turns out that I forgot to put a washer on the drain plug for the oil tank, stupid ass me.

Lets hope this fixes the problem. I got a clean piece of cardboard ready to show me anything, hopefully nothing. I plan to go riding on Saturday!

lets hope this is the end of your problems!! There are other posts on here about leaking joints where the fittings are "welded" into the oil tank I have had an issue where the top front fitting (air bleed when draining) tore out of the tank when I was undoing it. I got it fully welded back to the tank and right to the mounting bracket, I would get thid done if before I had trouble if I bought another bike with the same style tank