Replacing the front tire

You need a 17mm socket for the axle and a 12mm (or is it 13mm?) socket for the pinch bolts. Loosen the axle first, then the pinch bolts, then slide out the axle and the wheel will pull right out.

Edit: I screwed that up. You need a 24mm for the axle. My brother's bike uses the 17mm.

A service manual would come in handy also.

Yeah, waiting for that service manual to come in.

Do I need any sort of air compressed tools to retighten?

Also, my bike has a back tire with plenty of tread, but the front is about to go. Is there any issues with only replacing one tire? (assuming I make sure to use the same kind of tire)

Yeah, waiting for that service manual to come in.

Do I need any sort of air compressed tools to retighten?

Also, my bike has a back tire with plenty of tread, but the front is about to go. Is there any issues with only replacing one tire? (assuming I make sure to use the same kind of tire)

No. I use a regular ratchet and socket and go by feel but a good torque wrench is ideal.

Wrenches come in different lengths just for the purpose of giving the operator a good feel for tightening. Pinch bolts are 8mm not 10. Wrench size is 12mm. 13 ft lb is light torque for that size bolt because of how it is used. So medium firm snug.

Axle bolt at 28 ft lb can use a good firm snug.

Best I can describe it. Neither one is very critical, but don't over tighten the pinch bolts.

Jere,

Check your Owner's Manual. The procedure is in there under "Inspection and Maintenance".

Assuming you lost it, here is a quick run down:

To remove:

1. With the bike on the side stand, loosen the axle nut.

2. Loosen the 4 pinch bolts.

3. Support the front of the bike, wheel off the ground.

4. Remove the axle nut and draw out the axle from the right side (as viewed from the riding position). I hit the threaded side in with the palm of my hand to get the axle moving.

5. Slide the wheel forward and pull the speedometer gear housing off of the wheel hub (right side). Note: the angle of the speedometer cable. It will help during assembly in step 3 below.

6. Pull the axle spacer (left side) out of the wheel hub.

Note: Don't touch the front brake lever.

Install your new tire. <<< I have mixed old and new tires all of the time. On my street bikes I use about 2 rears for every front. Take it easy for the first xx miles.

Install:

Nobel's point on wrench sizes is a good one. My tendency is to over tighten. When I am away from the torque wrenches I follow his advice (be careful with those 1/2" drive ratchet wrenches).

1. Clean and add a little grease to the grease seal lips.

2. Put the axle spacer on the left side (viewed as you sit on the bike).

3. Put the speedometer gear box on making sure the front fork stopper (little feature on the right fork leg) is lower than the gear box stopper.

4. Align the wheel and slide the axle in from the right side. You may need to use your finger to push the brake pads back in place to allow the disk to fit.

5. Tighten the front axle nut to 14 ft-lbs. As you tighten the nut you will see the axle draw into the fork leg. When the force to tighten the nut further jumps, you are at about 14 ft-lbs. It may help to invest in one of those axle holder tools that Motion Pro sells to tighten the axle.

6. Tighten the 4 pinch bolts to 13 ft-lbs.

7. Tighten the front axle nut to 28 ft-lbs.

8. Squeeze the front brake lever several times.

Check tire pressure and go for an easy ride.

Hey, thanks OD-- I ended up doing it all yesterday and it was a smooth deal.. I love things like this where I know it's just going to be a breeze the next time I do it.

The one hiccup I ran into was I didn't have an axle holder, so I just used a vice and a bolt with the proper size thread.

Again, thanks for that detail... my service manual came in today.

After it was all said and done, I realize that the wheel needed to be replaced more than I thought. No more speed wobble on the freeway.