kx 100 clutch removal

Man heman must of tighten this nut down. Tried both electric and air impacts, have a clutch holder for my YZ250 but the groves in the hub are to small. I was wondering if anyone had any ides before I grind my tool down to fit. Thanks:banghead:

I've honestly never seen one that an air impact could not remove. That baby must be really galled on there. You might need to get a clutch holder, maybe try some penetrating oil in the mean time?

OK, I'm guessing the center nut is what you're referring to. The best way to remove is a 3/8th Impact. Is use High strength red loctite and never had an issue. Hit the FAQ section, there's a full pictorial. Also, if you have an 06+ bike, pay attention to the the nut on the crank, it's reverse thread.

Oh, almost forgot, Use a penny between gears to keep from turning.

strap wrench on the flywheel, in combo w/ 5th gear and someone standing on the rear break, turn that impact all the way up, dont use any extensions, make sure the springs are installed in the clutch
bong.gif Going to say this is not the way to do it!

put a penny between the gears. it locks up everything and no damage.....
I am sure he is talking about the inner clutch hub, penny would help with the crank bolt, but not for the inner hub as it free wheels from the basket.

I just broke down a KX100 the other night, I ended up having to grind my hub holder just a little to get a good tight fit. Got no where but mad using the 24mm socket and breaker bar. Tried impact half dozen or so times and finally it spun off, had to max out my compressor air for the impact to have the strength. 🙂

Good luck!

finaly got it decided to grind my clutch to doen some. Sappers I do have an 06 what nut are you refering to on the crank. Thanks
The one that holds the primary drive gear on the end of the crank, it is left hand threaded and only needs to come off if your splitting the case or replacing that gear.

why? i have done many bikes this way without issues

Several reasons....

First off the the inner clutch hub rotates free of the crank, holding the flywheel will have no effect stopping it from rotating nor will a penny between the primary and clutch gears.

Second if the springs were still installed meaning the pressure plate was still installed, how would you get to the nut that holds the hub to the drive shaft?

If the engine is still in the bike and the chain on, yes holding the rear brake with it in gear will hold the drive shaft from turning, but then so does the tool he has.

tus_08_clu_hol_too.jpg

Several reasons....

First off the the inner clutch hub rotates free of the crank, holding the flywheel will have no effect stopping it from rotating nor will a penny between the primary and clutch gears.

Second if the springs were still installed meaning the pressure plate was still installed, how would you get to the nut that holds the hub to the drive shaft?

If the engine is still in the bike and the chain on, yes holding the rear brake with it in gear will hold the drive shaft from turning, but then so does the tool he has.

tus_08_clu_hol_too.jpg

i would always use the correct tool if it is available, but his didnt fit. and no the clucth will not rotate freely with the springs in there, thats why i said springs must be installed, you can remove the throwout bearing and its holder, they just sit there, then you can get a socket on the nut. i made the assumption the engine is still in its frame with the chain. i have done this over and over again, please stop saying it wont work, im giving sound advice, that again, i and others have used over and over again. there are many ways to do everything, just because its not your way doesnt make it wrong.

Ok Mr. Sund Advise, its not that it's not MY way; it's more that your way is physically impossible!!!! 🙂

Here is a image from the service manual.... Springs go on the outside of the pressure plate, they come off with the plate leaving the inner hub, nut and push rod exposed. PLEASE tell me how you can remove the inner hub nut with the springs still in the pressure plate and if you can explain that... Please tell the class what the springs just sitting on the dowels would do to help hold the hub?

kx100clutch.jpg