XT550 head/rockers matched?

That's what I've heard too, but I'm not sure. I can't see spending the extra $50 for the cover if it's not necessary but I really don't want to take a chance on buying just the head only to find out it's useless either.

Well, at least I'm not in a rush.

Ya know, I used to think it was bull, but I just cruised on over to Bike Bandit and they show the head and rocker cover as being sold as an assembly, not seperately.

I wouldn't have thought that the case with modern mass-production technology and all...

I have swapped the covers on Honda RFVC heads though with no issues. They run ball roller bearings on the cams however, whereas the Yamaha runs directly in the head material. Maybe tolerances are more critical with that set up?

Well remember this isn't modern mass production, this is 1980's mass production which is very likely to be unchanged since 1950 or 60's. As far as new production goes with CNC machining and all that's a different story.

I'm going to wait until I either get a up or down answer from some one who said he tried it or until I can get one of these ebay buggers to cut me a deal. I can't see spending $100+ on a head/cover to see if a motor I bought in a project bike works when I spent $100 on the whole bike.

I never understood the animosity towards ebay sellers until recently when all that's left are the ones who I can best describe as angler fish sellers.

If you're not familiar, here's a cute cuddly picture:

angler_fish1.jpg

They sit around waiting with their super high prices and limited knowledge for the right sucker.

I would imagine that they are line bored as a matched set, so if you buy a head try to get one with a cover. If you can get a head cheap enough, use plastiguage to check the tolerances at various points around the bearing. Troy341