Should I even bother?

I've been riding my 03 CR250 that I believe has been tuned for a heavier rider. I've been riding this bike 90% trails 10% track for 3 years so i've just gotten used to the stiffer setup.

I am a major greenhorn when it comes to suspension but isn't there a certain kind of maintenance for suspension in general? I'm planning on takin my suspension to the shop but I have no idea what i'm looking for or what to ask. Do I need to get it redone for my weight or just fresh oil etc??

A quick note: When I sit on the bike, the rear goes way down and forks don't move at all. (I weigh 135lbs)

If the rear goes way down, it's most likely because the shock needs a rebuild. So, ask for a rebuild of the fork and shock. Don't be surprised if the parts bill really adds up. You're probably going to need fork seals and wipers, and the upper and lower bushings. The shock will probably need a piston ring, seal, bladder, guide bushing and hope that the inside of the body isn't worn out. Once all that is done, if you still have some money in your pocket, ask them to install the proper springs for your weight. Your bike will be much more enjoyable to ride once you have springs that are rated for your weight.

Maybe a different bike might be in store for you ... Many deals on craigslist n the recent past do to the economy ...

UR lighter than me so not sure why the rear might be so weak ... maybe you can try setting the sag and see how that goes ... If it is blown ... too bad ... see ebay link below ๐Ÿ™‚ .... Does it leak or anything? Any noises coming from it when riding?

Then a quick look at the oil in the forks ... Both these changes are low cost and not too big an issue to perform ...

Ebay shocks:

http://shop.ebay.com/i.html?_nkw=cr250%20shock&_dmpt=Motorcycles_Parts_Accessories&_fln=1&_ssov=1&_trksid=p3286.c0.m282&Model%2520Year=2004|2003|2002

Maybe a different bike might be in store for you ... Many deals on craigslist n the recent past do to the economy ...

UR lighter than me so not sure why the rear might be so weak ... maybe you can try setting the sag and see how that goes ... If it is blown ... too bad ๐Ÿ™‚ .... Does it leak or anything? Any noises coming from it when riding?

Then a quick look at the oil in the forks ... Both these changes are low cost and not too big an issue to perform ...

Nothing leaks... which I thought was strange because my buddies have newer bikes and their forks leak like crazy. My forks are nutso stiff. No noises from suspension.... i'll have to monkey with the sag again sometime. Weird stuff.

Nothing leaks... which I thought was strange because my buddies have newer bikes and their forks leak like crazy. My forks are nutso stiff. No noises from suspension.... i'll have to monkey with the sag again sometime. Weird stuff.

Not sure what forks do if outta oil but it seems like they would sag alot ... Maybe you are running all air up there? U can use about any oil in the front ... Most seem to like the 2wt, 5wt, or 7.5 wt ... I have singer oil in mine now as that is the lightest oil I can find here ... probably < 5wt...The amount of oil matters alot also in the bottoming department .... Maybe UR forks are over full and this is making them very stiff..

I got to fiddling my suspension for the first time ever a few months back and it is really dialed in pretty good now and the only cost was lighter weight oil for the front ...

Sag settings (via the springs) are very important as this holds the bike up and sets the initial starting point for the suspension ...

Maybe U can make some changes and get some better action from UR bike without going too deep in UR wallet ...

Not sure what forks do if outta oil but it seems like they would sag alot ... Maybe you are running all air up there? U can use about any oil in the front ... Most seem to like the 2wt, 5wt, or 7.5 wt ... I have singer oil in mine now as that is the lightest oil I can find here ... probably < 5wt...The amount of oil matters alot also in the bottoming department .... Maybe UR forks are over full and this is making them very stiff..

I got to fiddling my suspension for the first time ever a few months back and it is really dialed in pretty good now and the only cost was lighter weight oil for the front ...

Sag settings (via the springs) are very important as this holds the bike up and sets the initial starting point for the suspension ...

Maybe U can make some changes and get some better action from UR bike without going too deep in UR wallet ...

Alright, thanks for the tips ๐Ÿ™‚

Half the year I'm near Saginaw, the other half, in Flint.

I'm in Bay City

If you decide to do it yourself and need any help let me know. I can show you how to change the oil, seals, bushings, etc

I'm in Bay City

If you decide to do it yourself and need any help let me know. I can show you how to change the oil, seals, bushings, etc

Thanks, that's very generous of you. I will keep that mind and let you know if I decide to do it myself. ๐Ÿ™‚

Ok, I searched around and found 4 places nearby, JP Speed, MCR, Tech Care, and SPEED Technologies. All of their services are about the same price. I summed up fork revalves, shock revalves, fork springs, shock spring, and various parts (seals, bushings, oil, etc) and came up to about $550. Does that seem right or am I leaving something out?

Should be about right but definitely confirm a round about price when you call them. Obviously they won't know exact pricing until they look at your stuff.

May also want to ask them about specials. I noticed a lot of places have deals this year, tech care for example has 10% off revalve until the 15th.

Edited by kan3

Ok, I searched around and found 4 places nearby, JP Speed, MCR, Tech Care, and SPEED Technologies. All of their services are about the same price. I summed up fork revalves, shock revalves, fork springs, shock spring, and various parts (seals, bushings, oil, etc) and came up to about $550. Does that seem right or am I leaving something out?

Honestly that sounds a little low, when you consider springs alone will run over $200. I'd expect the total bill to be closer to $800 for both ends.

Honestly that sounds a little low, when you consider springs alone will run over $200. I'd expect the total bill to be closer to $800 for both ends.

i think $550 is in the ballpark for people that dont' advertise nationally. for sure, it's easy to spend $800 on brand name dudes, but LTR did my husky for under $500 including shipping (front/rear revalve, front springs)

That comes out to around $450-500 just for labor after oil and normal parts.

That's over a $100 and hour to do suspension work.

i think $550 is in the ballpark for people that dont' advertise nationally. for sure, it's easy to spend $800 on brand name dudes, but LTR did my husky for under $500 including shipping (front/rear revalve, front springs)

I know LTR is one of the more reasonable tuners out there, but your Husky was brand new, no wear parts needed.

$800 may be a little high, but add in a seal head, bladder, some bushings, seals, etc and the total quickly adds up.

He's more than likely looking at a total rebuild, not just fluids and valving.

lol ... That's about 7 months rent for me ... I'm certainly glad my 08 TXC250 Husky needed zero help from the PROs ... ๐Ÿ™‚

Good luck on UR bike :banana: ... those guys do great work ...

Edited by ray_ray