1979 tt500 hard to start

everytime i go to start my recently restored tt500 it pretty much does the kiking. the kickstarter wacks me in the calf every time.. i make sure its top dead center before every kik and it still does it. is the timing of? are we doing it wrong or what? HELP? plz..

get a new modern day bike haha

Wow, that's not a ghey response! Especially from the goon on the rippin crf150, lmao. I bet he'd drag race your rippin 150 for pinks. :banana:

Hillbillyhill,

Sweet bike man! Have you got a compression release on it? If not, you might want to look at fitting one. A well built 500 can be seriously mean to kick. Does it run well once you get it started? What's the compression reading?

If everything else seems good, and it's just a bear to kick, I'd say you got it just about right. 🙂

Are you the one that rebuilt it ?? if so then i would guess you have a manual so you can confirm the timing marks , that done , the key to the TT is make sure the white mark is in the window(the TDC mark) which from your post it sounds like you are already aware of that

Then give it a FULL HARD kick , make sure the kickstart is all the way up(on the compression stroke) and put all your weight into the kick , you can't sit on the bike doing this you must be standing or you will not get the full strength of your kick , they are VERY tempermental on the kick procedure and anything but proper technique will give you the results your having , AGAIN , make sure when it was re-assembled that the timing is correct , there are marks on the cam and crank besides the one viewed in the window , they must ALL be aligned with the marks or your screwed

You can NOT kick it like a 2 stroke , you must kick like you mean it !

I had a TT500 for many years. Remember this. When you kick it hold the kickstarter at the bottom. Don't let it back up uintil you see if it starts. It has a mechanism that releases it from the engine when you keep it at the bottom to protect you from any backfire that may cause injury.

Forget about the little window to see where the piston is. This takes a lot of extra time. My TT500 didn't have a little window. Push on the kickstarter slowly until you feel resistance as it comes on the compression stroke. Next pull on the compression release and push the kickstarter down a little further to get past top dead center. Let the kickstarter back to the top and give a good hard kick. Don't forget to hold the kickstarter down until you see if it starts.