New-old helmets OK? Thinking about a Bell Moto 7

How do helmets do sitting in the box a long time? I found some good prices on the moto 7, but a little hesitant due to the age. Does the foam break down? Any other issues?

Anyone have a Moto 7 or know someone who does? How do you like it?

Thanks,

Thanks Sheriff. The 7 years may be what I was looking for. Does that include one that has been unused?

I'm talking about one that has been in stock at a store. I'm guessing they aren't making new Moto 7's now, right? So any that are for sale online have been in a warehouse for awhile.

You can find them for $60-90 online.

My Bell Moto 7 was a piece of junk, beware. It was super uncomfortable and the plastic pieces started to fall off. The rubber around the edges all came unglued. Came out of the box with a cracked visor and a replacement one with the same paint job didn't exist.

Definitely try it on before you buy it

My Bell Moto 7 was a piece of junk, beware. It was super uncomfortable and the plastic pieces started to fall off. The rubber around the edges all came unglued. Came out of the box with a cracked visor and a replacement one with the same paint job didn't exist.

Definitely try it on before you buy it

My Moto 8 is a POS also! Super thin plastic vents are all busted from roost and trim pieces are falling off. This is on a 3 month old helmet. Bell helmets have gone downhill big time. I just went back to TLD as I have had great luck with them in the past. You can find good deals on TLD Air helmets on ebay. Just my .02

My Moto 8 is a POS also! Super thin plastic vents are all busted from roost and trim pieces are falling off. This is on a 3 month old helmet. Bell helmets have gone downhill big time. I just went back to TLD as I have had great luck with them in the past. You can find good deals on TLD Air helmets on ebay. Just my .02

I currently have a TLD SE helmet that I got on ebay for really cheap about 2 years ago. Most comfortable and best built helmet I've had.

Thanks Sheriff. The 7 years may be what I was looking for. Does that include one that has been unused?

UV, sweat, humidity etc. break down the helmet. If it's been stored properly, the age is almost irrelevant. I would ride a new-old-stock helmet and treat the day I bought it as new, without hesitation.

I'd listen to this guy, this is what I've heard from independent sources, and your brain isn't worth saving a couple bucks. I'd also look for the new ECE standard, which didn't exist a couple years ago.

Serious manufacturers recommend that you replace a helmet after 5 years of use or within 7 years of manufacturing date.

How long has it been sitting?

Thanks for the help everyone. I've heard good and bad about the Moto 8. I would really like to try one on, since I'm not going to buy anything without test fitting it. But if Bell can't convince shops to stock their helmets, then I don't need one. Shoei convinces them to carry them, so I know it isn't a price thing.

The HJC is the best fitting one I can find, I guess I'll probably go that boring route.

Thanks,

I dunno if you can find someone that carries Shark hats, but I switched from an HJC that fit my big round head pretty good to a Shark that's DOT and ECE rated, fits my round head, and has amazing build quality. They come in some new pretty cool paint schemes too.

Thanks for the help everyone. I've heard good and bad about the Moto 8. I would really like to try one on, since I'm not going to buy anything without test fitting it. But if Bell can't convince shops to stock their helmets, then I don't need one. Shoei convinces them to carry them, so I know it isn't a price thing.

The HJC is the best fitting one I can find, I guess I'll probably go that boring route.

Thanks,

It really is a good idea to purchase a helmet that you actually have the opportunity to try on first. Not too long ago I ordered an O'Neal 5 Series Distortion helmet online. Well, when I received it and tried it on the lower portion of it was so narrow that it was like torture trying to get it down over my ears. Then once the helmet was past my ears and all of the way down on my head, it felt way too loose. It was the strangest fitting helmet I have ever tried on. I had to return it. That was the first, and last, time that I will purchase a helmet without trying it on first.

My son and I have both used Moto 7 helmets. He's had his for 3 years or so and hasn't had any problems with it. Mine was destroyed in a non-motorcycle related incident a year and a half ago, and I replaced it with a Moto 8. I've had no problem with either one. The face piece of the 7 is a little bit close to the mouth, which can make it tricky using a hydration pack at speed. The eye cutout of the 8 seems a little small, and can cause fitment problems with larger framed goggles. Otherwise, there's nothing wrong with either one that I ever noticed.

It really is a good idea to purchase a helmet that you actually have the opportunity to try on first.

This may be the best pearl of wisdom in the whole thread. No two heads are the same.

I replaced it with a Moto 8. I've had no problem with either one. Otherwise, there's nothing wrong with either one that I ever noticed.

If you race MX in anything other than perfect dirt, the Moto 8 will NOT hold up. This helmet has 4 races on it. The plastic in the vent areas is far too thin to withstand roost.

100_0758.jpg

100_0759.jpg

100_0760.jpg

100_0761.jpg

Also forgot to mention that the liner will not stay clipped into place properly any more.

If you race MX in anything other than perfect dirt, the Moto 8 will NOT hold up. This helmet has 4 races on it. The plastic in the vent areas is far too thin to withstand roost.

Also forgot to mention that the liner will not stay clipped into place properly any more.

Well, the dirt in the desert where I race is hardly perfect, and you haven't lived until you've been roosted by a Banshee. (Yes, they run with us. No, I don't really like it, but it's not a real big problem) That said, I'll take you at your word regarding your helmet, but I'm having trouble blaming roost for the broken vent on the back side of it (third picture).

I'm just saying I've had no such trouble, that's all.