I love the drz 400

well its a been a few yrs since i had a drz 400 sm, in between i had the ktm 690smc and a 2005 husky 510 smr. im getting another drz, Y? cos they rock man!! i love modding that little jap beauty and for me reliability is an issue so without a question of doubt in my mind im getting drz within 10days, then with 3x3 (again) haha. 39mm fcr and im gonna try this new exhaust that i havent seen before but it sounds great from wot ive read on here ssw/mrd. e cams bla bla bla you all know the rest. i just wanted to say I LOVE THE DRZ 400

well its a been a few yrs since i had a drz 400 sm, in between i had the ktm 690smc and a 2005 husky 510 smr. im getting another drz, Y? cos they rock man!! i love modding that little jap beauty and for me reliability is an issue so without a question of doubt in my mind im getting drz within 10days, then with 3x3 (again) haha. 39mm fcr and im gonna try this new exhaust that i havent seen before but it sounds great from wot ive read on here ssw/mrd. e cams bla bla bla you all know the rest. i just wanted to say I LOVE THE DRZ 400

WOW! thats a statement right there.Two top Euro motards,and your back to the lowly drz.I come from 4 prior sportbikes,owned my drz400 Sm along with my last sportbike (GSXR 1000k5).Ive sold all my sportbikes,but still have the drz.Wanted to add a Ducati hypermotard to the garage,but my modded drz is really all I need for my type of riding (tight twisty mountain roads) and even handles the highway just fine to get to these roads....

I have put 20,000 miles on my '06 DR-Z400S and love it. I've long lusted for a 690SMC or a Husqvarna SM630, but lately I've been wondering, why not just get a 400SM and go big bore?

So what mods for the 400SM are considered optimum for power and reliability? Or, put another way, what mods give the most power for the least reduction in longevity or reliability?

Also, if anyone knows, what should I be thinking about for my S with 20,000 miles. I've done the JD jetting and airbox, but not the carb. When will I need to open up the engine, and should I be planning to big bore that as well, or would it be better to start on a fresher engine.

I just bought an 03 KLX400 Kawazuki. Besides the mods I will do, I need to either fix the left side case or get another one. I wish it already had the covers on it but the previous owner didn't ride dirt so didn't think he needed it. Looks like he dropped it and the shifter popped a hole in it. Is it worth it to buy a new one? If so, are they hard to come by besides dealer? I haven't had time to spend any time online yet. And I'm too tired to do it tonite. Also, what about a manual? I'd like to find a pdf I can download.

I just bought an 03 KLX400 Kawazuki. Besides the mods I will do, I need to either fix the left side case or get another one. I wish it already had the covers on it but the previous owner didn't ride dirt so didn't think he needed it. Looks like he dropped it and the shifter popped a hole in it. Is it worth it to buy a new one? If so, are they hard to come by besides dealer? I haven't had time to spend any time online yet. And I'm too tired to do it tonite. Also, what about a manual? I'd like to find a pdf I can download.

I will PM you the manual tomorrow ?

the case thingy I don't know about the finding issue..just hear they are $$$$ to replace :banana:

I'm already considering JB Weld. Unfortunately it's not just a small crack. It looks like if it got bumped a whole chunk would pop right out. I'm ordering the armor tonite. That was gonna be one of the first things I did before getting out on the trails with it anyway. It looks like new from factory is about $130. I don't know why someone isn't making a HD set for these motors seeing as how they're so fragile. At least you can get the armor.

The armour will do what you need. IMHO, I`d probably install the armour to the damaged cover after JB welding the outside damaged area and then, after the silicone curred, JB weld up the inside. Post-cure with the heat of a lightbulb or sunlight.

the armour spreads out any new force applied, provided you get an even thickness of silicone and press it in tight during the install.

Give it some thought, and this suggestion is sight-unseen......so maybe the damage is too great. I`ve seen JB used to smooth cylinder wall gouges......and I skoffed out loud at the prospect. Gues whatÉ It worked!! The engine came apart several years later and the JB was still there!! This on a Suzuki Jeep 800CC motor that was beat upon in the bush and highway.

Have fun and remember, cleanliness and prep is almost EVERYTHING

Well, the local dealer can get a case in just a couple days, but it'll run me $170 otd. So I'm gonna try JB first and slap the cover on top. It's not pouring out, just a drip, so hopefullythis will work. I'll rough up the surface and clean it good and build it up a bit with the JB so the armor fits snug and smooth on top. Btw, Bikebandit has one listed for $131 instead of the $145 the dealer sells it for but it'll take at least 2 weeks to get. If the JB still leaks a little I might go that route if it looks like it'll hold for that long. Wish me luck. I really want to ride it soon!

Lesson learned, I hope. Even if you aren't gonna ride in the dirt, do the armor. I wish the previous owner had!!