general torque specs

I dont like walking back and forth from my dorm room to my motorcycle with drain pans oil tools service manuals etc. I have to open up 5 doors each way PITA. That is why I am making a general idiot torque list that I am going to laminate and put in my tool bag. So nomatter what bike I am working on I know about what the torque should be and I dont have to open up my laptop and put in the cd and find the torque spec. Please let me know the ones with question marks (all in ft/lbs.) thanks

spark plug-15

fork axle pinch bolt-?

head bearing nut-60

axle nut-80

handlebar pinch bolts-?

drain plug-35 (dont do that on the drz or you will be shopping for a new engine)

I don't torque anything. I always use the "feel" method. Experience has taught me that using specific torque settings has a way of shearing off bolts; especially low-torque bolts like clutch plate bolts (don't ask me how I know).

• 1 month later...
^^^ I know you dont believe in torque spec but how tight should I do my brake line banjo bolts?

tight enough.

anything 12mm head or below i typically tighten "pretty tight" with a 6" socket driver. 13mm and up I tighten pretty tight with a 12" socket. Swingarm and linkage bolts I tighten pft (pretty goshdarned tight) with a 12" socket driver.

I dont like walking back and forth from my dorm room to my motorcycle with drain pans oil tools service manuals etc. I have to open up 5 doors each way PITA. That is why I am making a general idiot torque list that I am going to laminate and put in my tool bag. So nomatter what bike I am working on I know about what the torque should be and I dont have to open up my laptop and put in the cd and find the torque spec. Please let me know the ones with question marks (all in ft/lbs.) thanks

spark plug-15

fork axle pinch bolt-?

head bearing nut-60

axle nut-80

handlebar pinch bolts-?

drain plug-35 (dont do that on the drz or you will be shopping for a new engine)

Buy an engraver. Get out your manual. Engrave the torque spec in each of the fasteners in question. Problem solved. Don't want to engrave? Use a sharpie pen. It will fade over time, but easily wiped off with mineral spirits and redone. Feel method. Well, for non-critical stuff such as the bolts that hold on my plastic, sure. Or, a steel nut on a steel axle, crank it. Bolts into aluminum, use a properly set torque wrench.