steep jump faces like like straight up

well i have been racing for about a year and riding mx tracks for years but i recently got bumped up a class for racing and im scared to jump jumps with really steep faces i would think get your chest over the bars but when i think about it it seems like on the rebound part of the suspension i think im going to endo need help jumps are holding me back from doing better in my new class and im tired of being scared tips or tricks please

You have to attack the jump when leaning over the bars. The bike will pop up at first but when you hit the apex of your flight path the front end will drop and you will naturally find the bike coming up under you with the seat tapping you in the butt when all goes right. No brake tapping needed.

Main thing is to hold the throttle until your in the air, Too many guys let off and nose dive hard.

Just take it slow at first maybe 1st or 2nd gear and ease up to the jump and just power through it. gradually going faster.

Stand up in an attack central position and take it at your own pace.

Alot of motocross has to do with center of gravity, Dont lean forward on the jump, Dont lean back. Stay in the middle Arms bent, legs bent and be in the middle of the bike and if you have to correct the landing just lean and use throttle or brake.

If you are talking about Supercross up ramps that are very steep, then there definitely is a different technique to hitting those hard. You do have to use your body position to absorb some of the kick a steep upramp will give you. Develop some confidence by riding as much as you can, and get a feel for how a very steep upramp will feel when you hit it. Also watch other good riders techniques over the jumps that are giving you problems. And as they say, PRACTICE !!!

To be honest, just hit it like you would on any jump. I usually just adjust my body position in the air and I've never had a problem with steep jumps. They look intimidating, but they're really not that different from any others. I think the steepest jump I've ever hit is the uphill triple at Millville, but there are a few others that may have been a bit more steep.

well the track is not a sx track but its my local practice track and we recently had the cmrc national come through on this track and they have left it the same since the national but im tired of being a wussy and i know i can jump good im just scared so im going back out to the track on tuesday or thursday and im going to try to hit the step up and two doubles in the back and the finish line again i will ether conquer my fear and do good or crash and need more practice or crash and get hurt i will let you know how it goes wish me luck 🙂

• 4 weeks later...

I'm just getting back into riding and racing again, after having been out of the sport for about 10 or so years. I remember having a similar problem. Some of the tracks I used to ride had steep faces on the jumps. I can remember one tabletop in-particular, the other riders would hit it fast and hard, but I was s little slower at the time and did not want to hit it that fast due to in-experience. So, when I hit the jump a little slower, it would just shoot me up straight, instead of up and forward, almost like a bowl jump.

What I am wondering is, was it just cause I was hitting it slow that it shot me up? If I just hit them faster, will it also push me forward too? I am still intimidated by these steep faces and feel if I hit them faster, it will just shoot me straight up higher, not any farther forward? Is it just a confidence thing that I need to trust? Any help would be great!

I will be getting back to the States in a couple weeks and can't wait to get back on a bike! Had my father pick up an 04 YZ450F for me, while I'm over here in the big sandbox. I rode a 426 a friend of mine had in 2001 and decided not to go back to a smoker! Used to race a 95 CR250 back in the day. I just want to say thanks for the great site, it is becoming extremely helpful in getting back into riding!

Edited by sshelo1
Added information.

What I am wondering is, was it just cause I was hitting it slow that it shot me up? If I just hit them faster, will it also push me forward too? I am still intimidated by these steep faces and feel if I hit them faster, it will just shoot me straight up higher, not any farther forward? Is it just a confidence thing that I need to trust? Any help would be great!

Some of it is body position in relation to the bike and speed but a lot of it has to do with what you're doing with your legs. If you find you're hitting it as fast as other riders are but not clearing it, pay attention to what you're legs are doing. Are you being pitched too high in the air so you're losing some travel distance to height. If so, try to absorb some of the jump with your legs. Lossen your legs up and you'll stay closer to the ground but you'll be able to hit the jump faster and travel further.

If you're not making it far enough because you don't have enough height, try stiffening your legs at the bottom just before hitting the jump. This will help load the suspension project you higher in the air and that might help you.

A lot of it is confidence and learning how to read the jump face and landing. A jump with a steep face, in my opinion, has a higher propensity to kick you in ways you're not expecting. Like everything else, if you're not comfortable hitting it, start with something a little smaller and work towards it. There's no use in breaking bones because of impatience.

I'm pretty lucky my kid is good at sizing up jumps. He says on steep faces he leans into it and stays on the power harder and just coming off the face he'll push down on the bars and a little brake tap to point in down.

Here's a couple pics on a steep but short table, kind of a speed bump before skying over a big jump. It's pretty technical because you need the power to the ground by downsiding nose down to get speed for the big jump which was about 70 feet from the bottom of this table.

DSC03462.jpg

Here the seat is higher than the bars getting ready to downside and pin it to get over next big jump.

DSC03460.jpg

He loved this track it was built by an ex pro who made his living racing SX.

Most guys said the faces were too steep, but we took it as a good learning track. Too bad it's gone now.

theres a 50ft tabletop at my local track that i only jump about half way, i bet the takeoff is like 65-75 degrees straight up, even though i only jump it about half, i try to say neutral and just push the bars down a little and let the bike sit even in the air, then of course gas on the landing.