Kick start probs

im working on a 1984 kdx 200 and got the bike to run but it was a pain in the ass. I would kick start and sometimes the kick start lever would go down and hit the peg without turning the engine over, the kick start lever comes back up fine though....Any help would be appreciated!!!

check the ratchet mechanism for wear, check spring specs

Ditto. Pretty common problem, actually. There is a small spring in the ratchet assembly (not the large return spring) which keeps pressure between the spur and ratchet gears. That can get weak, as well as the spur and ratchet gears themselves wearing down. This makes the engagement hit and miss.

Hi,

Im pretty sure its from a 01 kx125, but I cant be 100% on that. When I brought my kdx I was lucky to have a friend who had heaps of spares from when he had one, he had brought a kx125 rolling chasis for the front end, the throttle and cable was left over from that ?.

I have it on Renthal fat bars and the taper does cause a few problems with getting it fully on while still lining the brake up nicely ( kdx throtle would be the same I think) but standard bars would be easier. I think the internal dia of the throttle assembly is the same.

The action of the kx throttle really is much better with the roller in there rather than dragging the cable around the corner like on a kdx. But like I said you need the kx cable, the end at the throttle is much narrower and there is much more free cable (the kdx cable didnt allow the slide in the carb to close fully with the kx throttle)

Its all gonna come down to getting the parts for a decent price, can you find someone wrecking one over there?

Hope this helps

Paul

Hi, I swapped mine for a kx throttle assembly the action is much better and only a 1/8 rather than a 1/4 turn. If you are gonna look at buying one ( new or second hand) id go kx but you'll need the cable as well.
There's no such thing as an "1/8 turn" throttle, throttle control would be impossible with such a quick pull. All Japanese MX bikes use a 70 degree throttle.

Hi, I just removed the throttle and compared the two there is quite a big difference in the length of the throtle stops (kx's are longer) and the kx one looks to carry the cable further from the bar than the kdx one.

I have to admit the 1/8 1/4 was a seat of the pants measurement:bonk:, but I cant turn the kx throttle close to a 1/4 turn and the kdx is well over.

The difference might only be 30deg but the shorter throw feels way better to me, and the smooth n light feel of the kx one is worth the swap by itself.

Paul

Edited by ChompersNZ
spelling

thats what I did on my KXD bike. Left the 125 pulley system and cut the cable bare so I would have enough length and adjustment for later...KDXs are just wierd bikes period. They have their points and then they dont. but the sum of all of them make the bike better than most bikes oddly...

I think it was one of your comments on how much better the kx one was that made me give it a go.

The first time I rode the kdx I came back thinking man I need more power, after dropping a tooth on the front taking the snorkle off and putting the kx throttle on its a different bike. I think as much as the sprocket helped being used to mx throttles I probably wasnt using full throttle much with the extra twist needed on the kdx.

So you just filed the end down and cut the outer cable down? I was busy filing mine b4 I figured out it was a little short n since I had the kx one I figured that was the way to go.

Paul