Who has a 3 rail bike trailer?

I still need a trailer to haul my bike around and have been thinking about buying one of those trailers with the 3 rails. I've seen a few on craigslist in the $500-$600 range and was wondering if any of you have them and are happy with them, or would I be better off to just get a 5x8 trailer instead. The 5x8 would be more useful for other things too, but I'm kinda limited on space.

I have a shorlandr 3 rail trailer and it works great. I did install some flooring between the rails and am planning on mounting a tool box on the front.

It is easy to move and store. It is great because I am really short and makes loading the bikes up much easier than putting them in a truck at the end of the day.

The only thing I regret about mine is not buying it before. My van got 12mpg; I get about 30 with the setup as below, which paid for the trailer and hitch many times over. I modified it a little so gas cans don't need to be in the car. $300, its a 1972 Holsclaw trailer.

imagejpeg_2.jpg

civic.jpg

• Like 1

The only thing I regret about mine is not buying it before. My van got 12mpg; I get about 30 with the setup as below, which paid for the trailer and hitch many times over. I modified it a little so gas cans don't need to be in the car. $300, its a 1972 Holsclaw trailer.

imagejpeg_2.jpg

civic.jpg

An old Holsclaw Bro's trailer is one of the ones that I had.? Too bad they don't make them anymore. Am surprised you didn't have to widen out the back of the center rail more for your rear tire. I has to really bend the rail sides over in that are for a 120 rear. I sources replacement shocks which made a world of difference.

H_Trailer.jpg

• Like 1

An old Holsclaw Bro's trailer is one of the ones that I had.? Too bad they don't make them anymore. Am surprised you didn't have to widen out the back of the center rail more for your rear tire. I has to really bend the rail sides over in that are for a 120 rear. I sources replacement shocks which made a world of difference.

LOL, where'd you find the replacement shocks?! I just searched for a while this morning; not sure where to look... Thinking about doing a litlle painting/tuneup till my cast comes off.

• 10 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 6 years later...

I have a 1979 Holsclaw in bluewith 2 rails, and am looking for a third rail, since the mounting holes are there.  This is the quietets and smoothest trailer I've ever pulled, and loading the bikes is so easy.  I get a kick out of the suspension, but it works great going 40mph on washboard!  I love it so far though I do often wish it was more utilitarian.  Perhaps with expanded steel flooring it will feel more versatile.

Use 1/2 in exterior plywood as a floor. Much better and easier to attach stuff if need be. I have owned two three rail trailers. Really like them. They are so light and loading my bike on them was a snap. I also added larger wheels/tires and extended the tongue to add a plywood box for "stuff". Then added a jack with a big wheel on the end. ?

My old trailer had 3 rails....but I usta cart roadies on it so had to drop it to 2. But...I have 18mm ply decking on it now, and run a front wheel stand in the centre (slightly forward of the ramps) with a short guide on the rear for carrying a single bike. It'll probably take 3 again, but I haven't tried.

Mine has leaf springs, but I did fit shocks to it, shocks are the thing for good towing. I'll try get a pic or 2 later. It's nothing flash tho.

Edited by DEATH_INC.

My friend and I put decking on a 1979 Holsclaw, and are in the process of fitting a third chock. The trailer comes with mounts for 3 rails but they all line up, so it wouldn't fit 3 bikes at once, it's too narrow.

Putting the third chock on the tongue allows all 3 bikes to fit...with absolutely no room to spare.20180407_173405.jpg20180407_173746.jpg20180407_173347.jpg

I have a 2003 shorlandr 3-rail I picked up on craigslist used about 10 years ago. The little ramp rattles a lot when being stored so I usually toss that in the bed of my truck. It has some expanded metal between the rails to attach random items. Other than some usual tire replacements it works wonderfully. Was $500 used.

• 2 weeks later...