Should I buy a Baja x250?

I am trying to begin my credit history with the purchase of a new toy, and Im looking for a dirt bike or atv in particular. ive always been impressed with the chinese off brands, especially their prices. Ive had a Flywing 150cc bike for about a year, and my brother and I have literally beat the piss out of this bike for that entire time. Ive had alot of little things go bad (levers and cables), the chain has had trouble, and the gearshift cam wore down fairly quickly, but all of the parts are interchangeable with Honda. This bike will beat any of the name brand 150's I have seen, and it continues to impress the crap out of me. My ONLY complaint with this bike is that the rear suspension is wayyy too stiff.

Now, I am seriously contemplating buying a Baja X250, and it sounds too good to be true. Do you think it will be worth 1600 bucks?

Now, I am seriously contemplating buying a Baja X250, and it sounds too good to be true. Do you think it will be worth 1600 bucks?

You can find used, but in decent condition, Honda XR200/250's (Yam/Kaw/Suz similar bikes) for that kind of money.

A friend bought a PepBoys 200 or 250 that had "street" lighting and tried to get it inspected. The inspector told him no way was that POS going to pass for road use.

One thing I can say about the Chinese stuff, and that is the QC is very poor. Your experience with that bike may have been the polar opposite of the experiences of the owners of the next 10 bikes off the assembly line. None of them are build to last; they are built to imitate only.

I am trying to begin my credit history with the purchase of a new toy, and Im looking for a dirt bike or atv in particular. ive always been impressed with the chinese off brands, especially their prices. Ive had a Flywing 150cc bike for about a year, and my brother and I have literally beat the piss out of this bike for that entire time. Ive had alot of little things go bad (levers and cables), the chain has had trouble, and the gearshift cam wore down fairly quickly, but all of the parts are interchangeable with Honda. This bike will beat any of the name brand 150's I have seen, and it continues to impress the crap out of me. My ONLY complaint with this bike is that the rear suspension is wayyy too stiff.

Get a used 125 2t, You get get pretty nice ones for under $1500

Since your name is off brand, I would get whatever you want. Chinese is cheap, but like you said, you can always swap parts in and out. I just bought an ssr for a pitbike, and while its chinese, its a lot of fun. And cheap too. Sure the levers are crap and the handlbar is like a toothpick, but you can always replace them and you paid half (or a quarter) of what you would pay with a name brand. And for the price, they cant be beat. You could buy a used bike and have it blow up tomorrow.

My brother has an off brand quad, and its never failed us yet (not sure of the brand) and him and I both had an Eton 50atv that we bought used for fun. Those things ran like crazy, and would pull around 220lbs easy. The reason I went with ssr is they are a reputable brand, and I knew someone who had one, and he rode that thing like crazy, and it would keep up with my brothers pitbike (xr80).

Thanks a ton guys! I read somewhere online that the best thing to do with off-brand bikes is to Lock-tite and tighten down all nuts and bolts and break in the engine carefully. Supposedly if you do that and keep up good maintenance then they should treat you pretty well. So it looks like Im going to get the Baja and re-assemble it to be sure there are no time bombs ticking and hopefully Ill get a few years of riding out of it! Or I could relive the 2005 Flywing thats got over 150 hours on it and is still running like new

Thanks again guys

• 10 years later...
On 7/9/2010 at 12:24 AM, OffbrandGuyski said:

Where did you find this bike? Are they offering to salvage for parts.