Car wax to keep boots white!?

I over heard some people talking about their white boots at a ride day awhile back. They said they waxed there white boots with car wax when they first got them. They let it soak into the leather and said the boots will never get that brown tint to them and rinse clean to look brand new. Anyone heard of this. I didn't think much of it at the time, but now I have a new pair of White SG10's on the way and I want to know.

I over heard some people talking about their white boots at a ride day awhile back. They said they waxed there white boots with car wax when they first got them. They let it soak into the leather and said the boots will never get that brown tint to them and rinse clean to look brand new. Anyone heard of this. I didn't think much of it at the time, but now I have a new pair of White SG10's on the way and I want to know.

I have white SG-12's and it's a bit of a chore to clean them up. Most modern MX boots including these have very little in the way of leather on the outer surface so I don't think that would help much.

i wouldn't.. high end boots are made with real leather so you need to oil them every once in a while. i know a star and other make a special compound you put on to keep the leather from drying up and cracking, so i would think a layer of wax would only speed up the drying process... but i may be wrong to lol

KX02 would wax on plastic even help keep it clean? (not saying ur wrong just a question lol )

I would just use a product named Lexol Leather Cleaner followed by an application of Lexol Leather Conditioner. You can purchase it in plastic spray bottles or in canisters of wipes. This product works really well on leather car seats.

i wouldn't.. high end boots are made with real leather so you need to oil them every once in a while. i know a star and other make a special compound you put on to keep the leather from drying up and cracking, so i would think a layer of wax would only speed up the drying process... but i may be wrong to lol

KX02 would wax on plastic even help keep it clean? (not saying ur wrong just a question lol )

Probably would help, but putting wax on a boot would not be like putting wax on a car. There aren't many flat surfaces to spread it on. Somebody mentioned hand cleaner with abrasive, like fast orange, that would probably help rub out the dirt stains more.

Back in the day when boots had no plastic on them we put a coating of mink oil on out boots once a season. Kept them water proof and from drying out. Boots weren't available in white back then though. You did get a choice on the type of sole, MX or Enduro.

i have the white/blue tech 7s you cant even tell they ever had white on them. this clay has stained them orange permanately but thats just looks

The red clay here in N.C. definitely stains some white boots. Recently I just decided that I am going to wash the mud off of my white boots, let them dry, and then hit the leather areas with Lexol leather cleaner followed by the conditioner. As long as the thick mud has been cleaned off the plastic areas of the boots that's all I really care about now. They're going to get very dusty and/or muddy early on during the next ride anyway so I'm just not going to sweat it. As long as they are clean inside I will be happy from here on out.

• 4 years later...

I have red white and blue sg12s, I've rode in them and got them dirty and let them set for a week...dumb I know but it happens. So I used degreaser at the car wash scrubbed the shit out of them and power washed them, they were still stained a little. But I sprayed some amour all extra shine on them( I use armourall on everything lol) anyways sprayed the armour all on them let them set for another week (note i heavily coated them with armour all) i took them back to the car wash sprayed more degreaser on them again and they look like new again now, pretty sure the armour all helped loosen the grit up

I have red white and blue sg12s, I've rode in them and got them dirty and let them set for a week...dumb I know but it happens. So I used degreaser at the car wash scrubbed the shit out of them and power washed them, they were still stained a little. But I sprayed some amour all extra shine on them( I use armourall on everything lol) anyways sprayed the armour all on them let them set for another week (note i heavily coated them with armour all) i took them back to the car wash sprayed more degreaser on them again and they look like new again now, pretty sure the armour all helped loosen the grit up

there was a thread on this the other day... you put wax on them and then put them in the oven. the guy had his boots for 4 years and they looked so clean even I would eat off of them.

So make sure you turn the over off though before you put your stuff in. I do this with leather ski gloves I have. Let the oven get up to 200 and then turn it off, put my liberally Sno-Sealed gloves on a piece of foil and let them sit in there for 10 minutes or so, then pull them out and rub it into the leather. On my Alpinstars I have been putting liberal amounts of Sno-Seal on all my stitching (welt) and seams, definitely is helping to keep water out. That combo plus over-the-boot pants works pretty well.  Last month at Tahuya after a puddle day my buddy dumped something like a cup of water out of each boot since his in-the-boot pants was letting it drain on in.My socks were just a bit damp here and there.   +1 on the Lexol or other leather conditioner also.

So, side question, what's with the white boots? Seems like lots of pros are wearing white boots. Is it just what the cool kids do?

Are you talking actual carnuba wax or urethane polish?  I use Nu Finish Once A Year Car Polish on my bike plastics and my daughter's white mx boots.  I don't know if it actually truly worked as I always cleaned them too with car wash soap and soft brush but they all looked good.  I would also use Mr Clean eraser for black smudges.  I never owned white boots before so I don't know how they would look overtime without the Nu Finish on it.