2003 Cr250R Clutch Question

This is likely a dumb question, but here it goes anyway. I have an 03 Cr250 and just started riding the track again (haven't had a bike in about 10 years), and I noticed my forearms burning like crazy because I'm using the clutch so much. One thing I do know is that I need to either lube my clutch cable or get a new clutch cable as mine is very stiff. A friend of mine says that I don't even need to use the clutch to shift when I'm going up through the gears. Is this true? I have always shifted using the clutch, I figured why would they have one if you don't need to use it? And if you can shift without the clutch, does it prematurely wear your clutch? Has anyone put a barnett dirt digger clutch in their bike? I was thinking of doing that, but not too sure what the advantages would be. Let me know, any info would be helpful. Thanks all.

ok if i were you i would pull the clutch cable of my bike put it in the vice and drip some oil down in the cable while moving the cable up and down or buy a new cable and oil it (i do the first cause i don't have the money...) 2nd i had that problem too but use that pain to go faster all your doing is giving you muscles a work out, 3rd i don't use the clutch while i am shifting up (unless i am putting aroung the yard) but use it for shifting down up dosn't matter thats because the syncros in the box have a very large windo to slip into compaired to a 18 speed truck box... also it won't wear your clutch out because your not using the clutch...

the transmission functions well at high RPM. it's designed that way for racing. once you wind one gear out it tends to slip into the next gear up much easier. don't let off just shift it up. I only use the clutch on the downshift usually while on the track. when I'm going slow and shifting in the mid rpm range I use the clutch to be easy on the trans.

I'm sorry guys but i always thought it was the other way around, down shifting can be done without the clutch because there is very little torque on the gears when decelerating. Where as up shifting the gears are heavily loaded.