06 YZ250 fork oil - Now holy crap fork cap was installed with impact!

I had to install a heavier set of springs to keep my forks from bottoming on my new bike, what weight oil should I run in the forks? What was drained out was disgusting, not dirty, but just thicker stuff.

So, what weight?

Thanks!

Edited by malfunkti0n

I had to install a heavier set of springs to keep my forks from bottoming on my new bike, what weight oil should I run in the forks? What was drained out was disgusting, not dirty, but just thicker stuff.

So, what weight?

Thanks!

If you are up to try something different use this. Here is the link!🙂

http://www.smartperformanceinc.com/215VM2K5.html

I was born and raised in Ohio, what part are you from?

Well I have some terrible news.

Apparently the moron that serviced the REAL set of 2006 YZ250 forks on this bike (the other set that came with it are not in fact from the 06, or even a YZ, probably a WR) must have used a jack hammer to tighten the compression valve cap because it WILL NOT come off. In fact, I have damaged the cap by trying to remove it because it is soft aluminum and not meant to be torqued down. Basically the compression cylinder is fine, but the valving cylinder that is inside is what is borked. I have no clue what to do from here on out, because either way I go I just see $$$.

Im going to try to take an impact to it tomorrow and hope hope hope that it breaks free. I really, really, really hate people that do stuff like this. I seriously would commit a crime tonight if I saw the moron that worked on this last.

really hate people that do stuff like this.

i know, how you feel.

Every now and then i'm getting suspension in which has been more or less ruined by such people.

Good news is that - other as with Showa - for Kayaba you get the compression unit as individual parts so it shouldn't be that expensive.

Just ask rks1, DaveJ or whomever you want for it.

Well I have "good" news. In order to get the cap off, I had to borrow my grandfathers electric impact gun. There is NO way I was getting that thing off with just my own two hands, it took the impact about 3 seconds to break it loose.

I found the valving on eBay for $90 shipped, but what would you guys do? It seems everything is fine except the cap which is a bit mangled now, however I can still tighten and loosen it, would you still buy another one to replace it?

Edit :

I think I might just keep the "damaged" one installed. The threads are not damaged on either piece, so it looks like the last installer was just an ape. It still screws in just fine and the cap installer/removal tool that I have from Tusk doesn't slip and has a good grip. I am going to sit and think about it for awhile, any reason you guys would replace it? Everything else on it seems perfect.

Edited by malfunkti0n

If all the threads are good and you can tighten and loosen the cap then there is no real reason to replace anything. I got news for you guys...in 2006 I bought a new YZ450F off the showroom floor that had the same problem. I wound up taking it to Palo Verde Suspension (before RKS's time) and he also had to use an impact to get it out. It took a lot longer than 3 seconds, we're talking minutes but nothing was damaged or hurt. Moral of the story is that the moron that over tightened these may work at the factory.....