XR650R FMF Powerbomb Header Yay/Nay?

Hey guys, just looking for any advice and information anyone can give on the FMF Powerbomb for a XR650R, as i am sick of the stock looking ugly header setup.

What is the fit and finish like of the aftermarket header as i have heard whilst looking around that sometimes it isn't quite bent right and needs a little tweak, also does it fit when using rad guards as i have Unabikers?

Last of all do you recommend it and any photos would be highly appreciated as the only ones i seem to be able to find this one,

aui6p5.jpg

Thanks

Matt.

IMO there JUNK. I had one and canned it. left pipe that runns infront of the frame is smooshed to clear the frame (lame), right side hit the bottom of my radiator, and the biggest bitch is it made the bike slower!! Look for akrapovic, staintune, barnums, moriwaki, remus or early honda of america pro circuit.

Well that sucks, how about the fmf hi flo, same crappy design and quality?

Forget the FMF stuff.

Buy something decent,you're an Auzzie pony up and buy a Staintune.

I think i might have too, i have been inquiring from an international site and its cheaper to buy it from there then direct from Australia, go figure lol, also do you happen to know if the staintune header will mount up to the stock exhaust?

As staintune dont know ๐Ÿ˜

Thanks

Matt.

• 3 weeks later...

for modern racing applications FMF is probably the leader...

...lightweight SS, even lighter Ti series and the megabomb does make power... ๐Ÿ˜

...and the indented pipe is required on several makes and models :cheers:

the problem is the FMF R and L pipes just give a little boost up top but u loose significant bottom end unless u've done sum motor upgrades and it can increase bogging issues w/o a pumper carb.

๐Ÿ˜

for modern racing applications FMF is probably the leader...

...lightweight SS, even lighter Ti series and the megabomb does make power... ๐Ÿ˜

...and the indented pipe is required on several makes and models :cheers:

the problem is the FMF R and L pipes just give a little boost up top but u loose significant bottom end unless u've done sum motor upgrades and it can increase bogging issues w/o a pumper carb.

๐Ÿ˜

I h8 these contradicting opinions lol, the previous posts say FMF is anything but the leader, also i don't believe loosing a little bit of bottom will do much as these bike has tonnes of it.

Ill have to keep researching i guess and try figure out if its the right way to go between looks, performance, fit and finish etc.

I should also add i currently dont have any baffle/spark arrestor as the previous owner cut it off, still seems to have plenty of bottom end.

Joker,

The Powerbomb header for the XR650R is not the right way to go. All you will end up with is a pipe that gives you about the same HP as a stock, uncorked muffler. I didn't notice any loss of low end with the Powerbomb but also no noticeable increase on top.

The XR650R motor needs flow so go with a header/system that opens everything up! As far as losing torque... the 650R has so much losing some low end is not a problem. You will always have plenty of low end grunt!

My recommendation is the XR's Only race pipe as my first choice and then the Pro Circuit system. The only Pro Circuit systems available now are NOT what the Honda Race team was using and the race type are almost impossible to find. The XR's Only system is as close to what factory Honda used as you are going to get.

I also experimented with a Pro Circuit header and a FMF universal Titanium muffler (for weight) using the Ti mid pipe with a machined adapter. This works good and saves several pounds but I would be a little worried about this in harsh off-road situations. For Super Moto it could be a good option.

One last note... I have seen the Big Gun systems for the 650R and I have talked to two owners that love the pipe! It has large tubes for the header and tucks behind the frame down tube so very well protected. I would do some research on this pipe as well.

Good luck!

Joker,

The Powerbomb header for the XR650R is not the right way to go. All you will end up with is a pipe that gives you about the same HP as a stock, uncorked muffler. I didn't notice any loss of low end with the Powerbomb but also no noticeable increase on top.

The XR650R motor needs flow so go with a header/system that opens everything up! As far as losing torque... the 650R has so much losing some low end is not a problem. You will always have plenty of low end grunt!

My recommendation is the XR's Only race pipe as my first choice and then the Pro Circuit system. The only Pro Circuit systems available now are NOT what the Honda Race team was using and the race type are almost impossible to find. The XR's Only system is as close to what factory Honda used as you are going to get.

I also experimented with a Pro Circuit header and a FMF universal Titanium muffler (for weight) using the Ti mid pipe with a machined adapter. This works good and saves several pounds but I would be a little worried about this in harsh off-road situations. For Super Moto it could be a good option.

One last note... I have seen the Big Gun systems for the 650R and I have talked to two owners that love the pipe! It has large tubes for the header and tucks behind the frame down tube so very well protected. I would do some research on this pipe as well.

Good luck!

Thanks for the detailed post, i have just got a quote from a ebayer on a full FMF Powerbomb/Powercore 4 system for $560 shipped but am now interested in other options since you said their is little to no gain.

Overall i know there isn't much to be had over the stock uncorked system but i think the current exhaust is a rather bad eyesore as well.

I have never really though big gun was a decent brand? Could you possibly give us a brief overview of your experiences.

Thanks

Matt

EDIT: Also now found a Big Gun Full Exhaust system for $500, would it be quality fit and finish and worth it etc though as i have been reading some conflicting opinions.

Big Gun have a bad build quality apparently.

I'd recommend to use the oem headers and get them ceramic coated. You can get this done in Richmond, Adelaide. Just got mine done cost $155.

For a pipe it has to be either Staintune or TKpipes. Staintune are very expensive as you know. TKpipes are Aussie made. Very good quality. The muffler body is made from 3mm thick aluminium, fully welded no rivets! The packing is a stainless wool which never needs packing. Aluminium has the best sound deadening properties of all metals apparently.

The pipe section is ceramic coated steel. The tip is the modern cone style, looks similar to a oem wr muffler tip. These pipes are made for an increase in torque. And best of all they are $435 at the moment. Unless your riding WOT in the desert you dont need more topend.

Torque is where its at.

Or you could do what Ive done and get an HRC style insert and give the muffler a fresh coat of paint. You mightve seen my brp on Dirtbikeworld recently, username 'megsy'

Cheers

Big Gun have a bad build quality apparently.

I'd recommend to use the oem headers and get them ceramic coated. You can get this done in Richmond, Adelaide. Just got mine done cost $155.

For a pipe it has to be either Staintune or TKpipes. Staintune are very expensive as you know. TKpipes are Aussie made. Very good quality. The muffler body is made from 3mm thick aluminium, fully welded no rivets! The packing is a stainless wool which never needs packing. Aluminium has the best sound deadening properties of all metals apparently.

The pipe section is ceramic coated steel. The tip is the modern cone style, looks similar to a oem wr muffler tip. These pipes are made for an increase in torque. And best of all they are $435 at the moment. Unless your riding WOT in the desert you dont need more topend.

Torque is where its at.

Or you could do what Ive done and get an HRC style insert and give the muffler a fresh coat of paint. You mightve seen my brp on Dirtbikeworld recently, username 'megsy'

Cheers

Thanks for the reply, its good to see another Aussie user from Adelaide, i have inquired about getting my current headers coated but thought i might as well get aftermarket if its going to cost half as much just to get them coated at the Richmond place.

I can get a staintune for a half reasonable price but what i would like to know most is if the staintune header will fit the stock honda muffler as i currently have no baffle or spark arrestor as the previous owner cut it off, so its more then uncorked ๐Ÿ˜‰

Just looking for a little power/delivery benefit and a better look, i love the look of the staintune btw.

EDIT: On another note today riding i somehow cracked my right hand side rad shroud, going through a bush :banana:

Dont possibly by chance have one lol, as i feel sure Honda World is gonna charge me the world for it :eek:

Thanks

Matt.

I have the FMF PBomb on one bike, and a BigGun on the other, and a stock header on the other. Here's my experiences:

FMF- Nice materials and build, but the mid pipe needs to be stock or FMF for tight fit. A little more upper end, and undetectable loss of lower end. I'm using the stock can with HRC baffle....not too loud.

Big Gun (race)- Cheap materials (alumacoated steel), but the build seams nice (maybe I'm one of the lucky ones). I love how it does'nt follow the stock routing in front of the frame. The pipes are noticably larger than stock (and the FMF). Much better upper end pull, and noticably less lower end. This is a full RACE system, and is LOUD!

Stock- is stock! Not a bad setup with the HRC baffle.

The bikes are running Edelbrock carbs, and are uncorked with no internal changes. Decide which pipe is designed for your riding and motor modification intentions, and then buy the best one you can afford. I don't expect the BG to live very long, but I like it the best for high speed dez and Baja. The FMF will out live me, and is O.K. for most riding. The stock will out live the BG, but not the FMF. It too is O.K. for most riding, but stock is'nt COOL. There, that's my .03...

I recently bought a FMF Powerbomb. I haven't put it on yet because it looks like I need to take the radiators off and I have to pick up new coolant. But anyways I got mine from motorcycle superstore for $240 and free shipping. It looks like a quality header, yea maybe it won't put out the most power, but honestly this bike has enough power for me the way it is.

I recently bought a FMF Powerbomb. I haven't put it on yet because it looks like I need to take the radiators off and I have to pick up new coolant. But anyways I got mine from motorcycle superstore for $240 and free shipping. It looks like a quality header, yea maybe it won't put out the most power, but honestly this bike has enough power for me the way it is.

You dont have to remove the rads to take off or put on stock headers even with the unabiker rad guard support rods in the way :banana:

• 4 weeks later...