tire selection

Dunlop Geomax MX51... do it! NOW!

I haven't tried the MX31, but I hear that works great especially in mostly soft stuff. The MX51 covers a wide range of terrain and is one of the best tires I've ever used. It hooks up great in everything and takes a lot of abuse.

Michelin MS3 is also an excellent choice, but I really like the MX51.

Now doesn't this thread belong somewhere OTHER than the KTM forum?

don’t get Bridgestone (aka Slipstones) I bought my SXF 250 used and it had a pair of Bridgestones and they felt like they had no grip. I am running Dunlop, MX31 in the front and M51 in the back.. its amazing! for soft, mid and hard, they work ok on hard pack even though there not hard tires. I might try a Pirelli Scorpion mx 32 on the rear just to see how it feels.

• Like 1

Just bought a michelin starcross (I think thats what it's called) and it way better than the bridgestones I had previously. I ride a sand track, and hardpack trails and it's an improvement at both situations. Way better in the sand though, well see how it holds up, got 20 hrs out of the old tire but I'm no speed demon so that might be why. What is average for hours for a tire?

• 2 weeks later...
Dunlop Geomax MX51... do it! NOW!

I haven't tried the MX31, but I hear that works great especially in mostly soft stuff. The MX51 covers a wide range of terrain and is one of the best tires I've ever used. It hooks up great in everything and takes a lot of abuse.

Michelin MS3 is also an excellent choice, but I really like the MX51.

Now doesn't this thread belong somewhere OTHER than the KTM forum?

??:thumbsup:Hands down!!!!MX51 front and rear!!!

I read they lean more towards harder soils.. they say soft soils 203.. I wonder if they chunk if you ride a little hardpack? most what we ride is loamy, soft, some sand on the wet muddy side and some hard pack..

Bridgestone 403/404 seems to be a very desirable combo. when my stockers on my 2010 ktm 450 wear out i will either go with those or the michelin starcross ms3

i used the 403/404 on my last bike and rode everything from soft georgia clay mud in the winter after a rain storm to dusty hardpack dirt in the late spring/early fall. didnt ride on any rocks.

the tires worked pretty good and i didnt notice any chunking. this was on a crf450r. they seemed like they were holding up a lot better than my previous tires, Dunlop 756. i sold the bike and bought my KTM before I wore them out.

good or bad, ordered set of Dunlop geo M51, was looking hard at another front tire but could not find a good choice... hope they are decent.

The other day, my 756 really rounded off riding at a semi med to hard track.. maybe it was the cement starting line.. big time rounded off.. compared to riding other weeks..

404/403 are really good all around tires that do really well in alot of different soils. I ran the m12xc rear tire and m12xc front for the National enduro in MI. I thought the rear tire performed really good. I put 67 miles on it and the tire looks brand new still. Hooked up really well in the soft sandy soil and muddy areas. the sidewalls are really stiff. I see alot of people running the tire at 8/10 psi. I ran it at 12 but I am going to try it at a low psi for fun. I dont know why everybody dogs this tire.